Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with browsers other than IE

• Please log in to reply

km_ab

km_ab

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I used Firefox browser for a number of months successfully, but when a vulnerability was detected a few weeks ago I went to the website to do an update and to fix any errors. Following the update I tried to load the new Firefox version but no matter what website I wished to visit I was met with an error message: "(website) could not be found. Please check the name and try again." I have a home page which would not come up. Then no matter what URL I enter in the address window I am met by the same message.

I reverted back to IE which works perfectly. Then I attempted other browsers. I downloaded and opened Mozilla ... and Maxthon ... only to be met with identical error messages.

Thinking that either my AVG or Sygate Personal Firewall may be preventing me from using any other browser I disabled both but to no avail. It didn't matter if AVG or Sygate were shut off individually or together nothing worked. IE however does work. But something is preventing me from using my favourite browser ... Firefox.

What else might it be?

Thanks for your help.
--- Ken

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Try uninstalling Firefox and Mozilla completely. Download a fresh copy of either and try again.

km_ab

km_ab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi ...

I followed the advice. I went to my Control Panel ... to the add/remove software ... and fully and completely uninstalled Firefox. Then went to the Mozilla/Firefox website. I downloaded Firefox once again and installed it.

On opening Firefox I was met with the same error statement.

Any other suggestions?

--- Ken

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
I'm not an expert on this topic.

But...

Maybe, maybe your system puts your browsers setting (a part from the windows internet explorer) to work offline. Try going on file or edit or tools ecc. and making sure that you are online and not working offline.

That probably won't solve it but its worth a try!

Good Luck!

:tazz:

- Maverick

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
A firewall is probably blocking it. Disable all firewalls you have, including the Windows Firewall (you have to disable that in control panel).

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Have you set Firefox to be your default browser ?
The following applies to Mozilla but there will be something similar in Firefox :
Run the program, click Edit then Preferences and select Navigator.
Put a check mark next to 'Make ... my default browser'

km_ab

km_ab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, it's now fixed.

Here's what happened. I thought that I was only running two programmes which may have interfered with Firefox (or any other browser I attempted to run): Sygate Personal Firewall or AVG. When it was suggested that I turn off the IE firewall I went to the Control Panel and found where it indicated if the IE Firewall was "on" or "off." As it was, the IE internal firewall was turned "off."

But another thing I didn't realize was that at one time or another I had downloaded Zone Alarm. I was NOT using it though. But it had been unzipped and used at one time before I had turned it off. On the Add/Remove software it indicated that the last time Zone Alarm was used was sometime in 2004, although I can't remember what month. I know that Zone Alarm had caused me problems before ... one of the reasons I quit using it. So, I UNINSTALLED Zone Alarm. As soon as I did that, I tried Firefox again and "Voila" ... it worked.

Now I have made Firefox my default browser.

Problem fixed.

Thank you one and all.

--- Ken