Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot. What next? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

concobar

concobar

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Good Evening!

A few days ago I tried to turn on my laptop. I was brought to the windows error recovery screen which informed me that there had been a serious error, and gave me the choice to launch startup repair or start windows normally.

Choosing the repair option, the computer gets stuck at a page with a white arrow. Choosing the start windows normally restarts the computer and brings me back to the windows error recovery page.

I tried booting and pressing the f8 button (advanced boot options). These options also restarted the computer and brought me back the error recovery page. (When running safe mode the process stops at \windows\system32\drivers\aswrvrt.sys then either freezes or restarts.)

I also ran the AVG recovery scan. The only files that were found were some very old downloads. The only option I could see was to 'heal' which I did. After this I ejected the disc, rebooted, with no difference from before.

What can i do now? I am not the most computer literate but am willing to follow instructions and am most grateful for any help.

Thank you!

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Hello concobar,

Welcome to Geekstogo.

Here are some instructions to help you access the Recovery Environment to run a scan.

There are two options shown below. For the first, you will only need a flash drive or some such, for the second, you will need both a flash drive and a Windows Installation Disk.

If you are unable to access the Recovery Environment through the first option and have a Windows Installation disc for that machine then option two will be a good one to try.

Now

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:

• Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select English as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:

• Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

• Select Command Prompt
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64)  and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will create a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

concobar

concobar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Great!

I've put the farbar recovery scan file on a USB stick, but when I press f8 and then select 'repair your computer' it stops loading at a screen with a white pointer.

Is there another way to perform this scan? Or how else can I proceed?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Okay that sounds like you might have a hardware problem. That is not my area of expertise, in this forum we deal with malware caused problems.

Nevertheless, before we send you to the techie's let's see if we can look a bit further just in case there is a malware issue hidden away there. :)

This is a way to access your computer using a CD that we will create.

Before starting you might like to print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing. The instructions need to be followed exactly.

You will need a blank CD and a USB stick/flash drive.

Now

• Download OTLPE.iso from here and save it somewhere you can get it.
  • Insert a writable blank CD/DVD in your CD drive and click on the OTPLE.iso to burn a CD.

Next
  • connect the USB Flash Drive
  • Download FRST from here (you will need to download the one that is compatible with your system - if you are not sure, come back and ask) and save it to the root of the USB Flash Drive.

After that

• Reboot the infected system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • When you see a message with Starting REATOGO-X-PE connect the USB Flash Drive
  • The CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system... it can take a bit of time, just be patient  :)
  • After it has fully loaded your system should display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double click the My Computer icon and open the drive corresponding to your flash drive
  • Double-click on FRST to run it.  FRSTicon.jpg
    When the Tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.

]FRSTconsole-2.jpg

• Press Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called (FRST.txt) on the flash drive.
  • Open the Start Menu and click Shutdown to close the REATOGO-X-PE
  • Insert the Flash Drive on the working computer, then locate and open the FRST.txt log
  • Please copy and paste the log contents back here.

concobar

concobar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Ah, I managed to burn and load the disc, but after it shows the 'windows xp loading' page, it freezes again.

Would that mean it's probably a hardware issue?

Thank you for your help!

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

So I take it that it boots up okay but stops part way through?

Do you see  a REATOGO-X-PE desktop or does it not get to that point?

concobar

concobar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes, it boots, shows the windows loading page then the next screen is light blue with a cursor. I suppose this is the desktop of reatogo-x-pe but it doesn't show any icons, just a blank light blue screen.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Hello again concobar,

My suspicion is that the hard drive on that machine is "toast" but I am not a techie and so am seeking independent advice to make sure we have it right.

We work in different time zones here so it may be a while but I will get back to you. :)

concobar

concobar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Ok, no problem. I won't have access to the problem computer for the next few days anyway, so take your time.

If it is toast I guess I'll try and figure out how to save some files, then reformat. I had a fiddle around with the AVG cd and it seems like I can access the files.

Thank you so much for all your help. :spoton: 

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Some of my collegues have taken a look and it seems the boot CD OLTPE that I asked you to use could be out of date or/and there may be a particular problem that causes Windows to fail to load even using a boot CD like OLTPE or a Windows DVD.

Your ability to see your files using the AVG CD suggests something like that.

We think we may have some ideas to help, at least access you files if the the AVG CD is insufficient for your needs.

My original idea was that there was corruption in Avast hence the stoppage at \windows\system32\drivers\aswrvrt.sys. My thought was to run a fix to remove as much as we could of Avast with FRST and see you if you could boot up normally after that. We could then use the Avast removal tool to remove the remainder of Avast and either reinstall the latest version or something else.

We couldn't use FRST though so the next possibility is that there is that something has gone wrong with the system or memory. One of my colleagues says this can happen particularly with some laptops with small internal memory similar to SSD causing Windows to fail to load... including from a DVD. If that is the case, and the symptoms do tally with that, then we can almost certainly access your files using a linux live CD. I can give you some instructions for that if necessary but first:

Couple of things:

1. What brand and model of laptop is that machine?

2. As you were able to enter Advanced Boot Options by pressing F8 I am sssuming your OS is Win 7 or earlier, have you tried booting using Last Known Good Configuration from Advanced Boot Options?

If you haven't, see the link below for instructions for how to try LKGC or Last Known Good Configuration in Windows 7.

http://windows.micro...n#1TC=windows-7

Tell me how that goes and if it doesn't work what brand and model your machine is. :)

Advertisements

concobar

concobar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hello!

I'm back with my computer now, thank you for waiting. My computer is a Dell XPS M1530.

I was going to run the Last known good configuration but somehow came across an option to run a memory test. The top of the page says 'Pre-boot System Assessment Build 4108'. It is still running at the moment, and most of the tests resulted in a pass, however one failed. A note on the screen says:

'Hard Drive - DST

Test Results: Fail

Error Code 2000-0142

Msg: Hard Drive 1 - Self Test unsuccessful. Status 77.'

I just wondered if this might hold a clue as to the problem with my computer?

After the test has finished, I will try the last known good configuration test again, but as far as I remember it tried to start the computer and took me back to the windows error screen.

Thanks again

concobar

concobar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Yes, when I try 'last known good configuration' it begins to boot but isn't able to get past the initial boot screen i.e. it just keeps loading but doesn't get anywhere.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

'Hard Drive - DST

Test Results: Fail

Error Code 2000-0142

Msg: Hard Drive 1 - Self Test unsuccessful. Status 77.'

All my research shows that that means your hard drive is failing.

My best advice is to backup what you can before purchasing and installing a new hard drive.

You said earlier that you may be able to access your files through the AVG CD and that may be sufficient for your needs.

If not, here are some instructions for creating a disc that you may be able to use if the hard drive isn't completely toast yet.

These instructions come courtesy of phillpower2 from our technical section.

===================
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,
Blank CD,
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:

• Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-528.iso)
    Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

There are instructions on how to boot from flash drive with puppy here

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click 1%20BurnCDCC%20Icon.PNGBurnCDCC
  • Click Browse 2%20BurnCDCC%20Browse%20Button.PNG and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
    IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start 3%20BurnCDCC%20Start%20Button.PNG
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK

Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created
2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second

• Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
    (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
    CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD

4%20BIOSBootPriorityImage.png

3.  Recover Your Data

• Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM).  You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer".  Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning.  Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy.  To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once.  Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to.  This is normal.  Ready?  Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives
  • Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. 5%20Puppy%20Linux%20Mount%20Icon.PNG
  • A Window will open.  By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted.  Click on Mount for your hard drive.
  • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
  • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
  • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab.  Mount it now.

3b. Transfer Files.

• At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
  • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
  • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
  • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
  • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.

For The Novice:  The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once!  No double clicking!  Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy.  Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

If you're doing this to recover from a virus or malware infection, (or even if you're not), DO NOT copy executable files (.exe, .scr. etc...) if any of these files are infected you could be copying the corruption over to any new device/computer. just copy documents, pictures, music, or videos.

YOU ARE DONE!!!  Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer.  Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

PuppyLinux528screenshot.png

Free and user friendly back up software that phillpower2, the technical consultant, often suggests and that has proved positive with members is Macrium Reflect

Tell me how you get on.  :)

concobar

concobar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Fantastic! I'll give this a go tonight. Thank you again!

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

:thumbsup: