Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB 2.0 problem

• Please log in to reply

CAUTION5697

CAUTION5697

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have an old Dell 4100 with XP Professional on it. As it was, it only came with 2 USB 1.1 slots on the mobo. So i bought a USB 2.0 PCI card so i could transfer files quicker. I installed all of the drivers and everything and now when i plug ina USB device it says its only USB 1.1 and is really slow. Is my USB PCI card getting stuck on my mobos USB 1.1?

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Although the card you bought is for USB2.0, your motherboard apparently only supports USB1.1 so that is what you end up with. Go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and look for an upgrade that you can download and install.

CAUTION5697

CAUTION5697

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
ive looked around for a while and i cant find anything to download that would give me USB 2.0 for my computer. Its for a dell 4100 if anyone knows where i could look or find one.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Although the card you bought is for USB2.0, your motherboard apparently only supports USB1.1 so that is what you end up with. Go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and look for an upgrade that you can download and install.

View Post

I don't see why that would be the case....assuming the pci slots are 2.1 spec, the current usb ports are irrelevent to the usb 2.0 pci card, I would think.....

who made the card? what model is it?

CAUTION5697

CAUTION5697

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
its made by PPA Int'l, here a link to the website where i bought it, this isnt the exact model, mine has 4 external slots instead of 2 and 1 internal slot.

http://www.tigerdire...15761&CatId=393

CAUTION5697

CAUTION5697

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
heres the real card that i have

http://www.tigerdire...9&sku=P511-1066

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff