Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc starts for half a second and turns off

• Please log in to reply

Sale80

Sale80

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi to all! I have installed a new psu and second hand mobo and started usb boot. It started to load windows from the usb and stopped, then monitor went black with computer still running. I turned it off, but after I've tried to power up, the lights turned on, and the fans started to spin and immediately turned off.

Specs: asus msximus, intel q9550, ocz reaper 8gb, ati radeon 512 mb, 550w psu. Tx in advance, Sasha.

PS. when computer starts (for that 1/4 second), it looks more like it is throws out the leftover electricity inside than actually powering up.

Similar to the situation when you switch PSU I/O button to O, and then try to power up.  

Edited by Sale80, 06 May 2015 - 12:59 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome:

Are both 12v and 24v cables securely connected?   Is the CPU fan plugged into the CPU fan header on the MB?

Is the old RAM, and CPU  compatible with the msximus?   Did you change over the I/O shield?   Completely clean any old TIM from the CPU and heatsink, then apply new TIM?   check the standoffs on the MB mounting plate to make sure they match the pattern and number of screw holes in the board, no extra ones.? 

After confirming the above and still no start, having installed two (new) parts, I suggest you try booting the original MB with the new PSU to see if it is good. 

Please post back the results. 

Sale80

Sale80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi Iammykyl and thank you for your reply.

I will check all that you mentioned above and reply ASAP.

The old MB though, it starts but shows nothing on monitor (with 1 of 4 memory sticks installed) 

or starts and shuts down when 2 or more memory sticks installed (reason why I got the new one)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK, thanks for the info, you could have a RAM issue.

After doing the first checks, especially RAM compatibility, and before testing the PSU on the old MB. try,,http://www.memtest86.com/

install one stick of RAM in slot #1 on the Maximus MB,  if system bootable, test for 3 complete passes, write the results on an envelope and place the RAM on top.   Do the same for every stick, using slot #1.

When finished, please post an update.

Sale80

Sale80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I have tried all 4 sticks in all 4 slots (before I replaced the MB), but nothing happened.

As for maximus, the problem stays the same after pulling out RAM sticks one by one, till there was no ram at all. 

With no ram, the computer behaved the same.

I will try to do everything that you have mentioned in your first reply and post the results.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:

Sale80

Sale80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
So...everything is checked except the paste. I don't have any to put on the cpu until tommorow. The problem is the same, except it actually turned on for 2-3 minutes but after few restarts the problem continued.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK, I think you need to start testing with the basic hardware, a Bare Bones setup. Remove the MB from the case and sit it on top of the MB box, close to the side of the case.

Find the Clear CMOS jumper on the MB, move it over to clear the CMOS, leave about 15 seconds then move it back.  This will set the BIOS to defaults. 

Installed hardware, only the CPU/cooler, CPU fan connected. + keyboard/mouse + monitor + 24v and 12v cables, no RAM.

Switch on the monitor and PSU, press the power on button on the MB, (if present) or with a small bladed screwdriver, briefly short out the 2 PWR pins on the MB front panel header. 

THE PSU/CPU ans should run, any beeps or monitor display? 

Sale80

Sale80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have pluged out everything and left only MB, but still nothing BUT, when i plug OUT the smaller of two cables that go from PSU to MB, it starts working

Sale80

Sale80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Update.
Plugged back all of the components, and tried to boot from usb. Boot menu/boot device - usb/f10...computer turned off. After 2 attempts I went to boot menu again and the broken black stripes showed on display, and eventually the comp whent off again.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

when i plug OUT the smaller of two cables that go from PSU to MB, it starts working 

That is the opposite of what should happen, and as you have done the base test, i.e. CPU+heatsink/fan,I think you have a faulty MB.   It sounds like a short but would not be possible for a user to find.   The most common faults, swollen or leaking capacitors, bent or broken pin/s on a AMD CPU or Intel MB socket.   You will need to take a look. 

Sale80

Sale80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I will check on that

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

How is the troubleshooting going?   Did you find any bent pins?   An update would be appreciated.  

Sale80

Sale80

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi, been busy these days and didn't mamage to update. I have checked socket an cpu but can't find any damage

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

If there was a warranty with the board, send it back.