Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Oemji toolbar

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 9 posts
my mate has a problem with his computer, when he opens up the internet broser it goes to the oemji web page and it has installed the oemji toolbar which they can't remove. i've tryed using add and remove programs but it keeps on crashing. a error comes up saying send error to microsoft or don't send error to microsoft. none of the programs are running propley and i don't have access to there computer because i'm along way from them and they don't know much when it comes to computers. i've been looking on web sites about it and its described as a piece of software which hyjacks your internet and stops you from using the internet. this is there web site (www.oemji.com)
how do you remove it?

:tazz:

Advertisements

merlin811

merlin811

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
ok here is an part of a quote from a site i found on this browser:

Oemji hijacked my search function. i thought i was getting a popup blocker. i found no way to remove the oemji search component from the popup blocker. also IE kept closing with an error message about one of the oemji files so i decided to uninstall the whole program within an hour of installing it.

the uninstall turned out to be another headache!
i used the windows add/remove but that opened oemji's uninstaller. twice i used oemji's auto uninstall and twice it crashed my system leaving a blue screen with a few sentences and one that says "system halted". i suspect it is incorporated into the uninstall software.
on my third try i used the custom uninstall and did not delete the 2 files in the oem common folder on the outside chance that they might be used by another program. i did not delete the files in the main oemji folder thinking i could easily delete them later manually, but after i custom uninstalled focusing on the registry keys, the oemji folder was empty. guess removing the registry keys removed those files

That should help :tazz:

Edited by merlin811, 13 June 2005 - 04:05 PM.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks merlin811, i'll try it tomorrow when i get access to the computer.

merlin811

merlin811

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
well dont forget what mpfeif101 said to do,my way may be a quick fix and you might not have to go any farther,but his way is more thourough and will probably be better in the long run.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i'm after a quick fix at the moment, the computer is'nt mine and i got persuaded in to fixing the problem because i do advanced computing at college which is worth two A levels and all my family know that and they all take advantage of my skills in computing.

i'll just do it your way first merlin811 to solve the problem.

thanks for your advice merlin811

Edited by 20034663, 14 June 2005 - 04:54 AM.

stig

stig

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have tried to follow the instructions of Merlin - but I guess I do not understand it properly as I am still unable to uninstall the oemji program. furthermore I have installed the Adware malware system as suggested by 'geeks to go' but this has not helped me deleate the program - what to do??

Stig - CPH