Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which Power Bank Should I buy?

• Please log in to reply

thailen

thailen

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

I have a smart phone(OnePlusOne) and I want to buy a power bank that is fast and cheap. I see mAh numbers from 26j00 to 20,000. What do they mean? Do they translate into minutes? What else do I need to know?

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

yes, you can work out how many extra minutes your likely to get depending on the battery size in your phone and the powerbanks battery size.

mah stands for milliamps per hour.

here's a link explaining what that means :- http://www.learninga...acteristics.php

All batteries, standard or rechargeable, also come with a specification of milliampere-hours (mAH). This shows how long the battery can last for in operation; or in other words, how long its life is.

Millliampere-hours shows how many milliamperes of current the battery can supply per hour of use. For example, a 1900mAH battery can supply 1900mA of current to a circuit for one hour, and then it will have used all of its charge.

Usually a circuit will not demand 1900 mAH of current all at once for operation. A circuit may instead use 380mA of current. In this case, the battery can supply 380mA for 5 hours, since 380*5=1900. Or it can supply 190mA of current for 10 hours, since 190*10=1900.

The product of the current consumed x the number of hours in use must equal to the mAH specification.

Thus, our same example, of a 1900mAH battery can be used in the following ways, as examples:

3800mA for 0.5hours
1900mA for 1 hour
950mA for 2 hours
475mA for 4 hours
etc...

The mAH specification shows how long a battery will be able to last in a circuit, given the circuit's power requirements, how much current the circuit demands.

Being that the mAH is the battery's life, the more mAH's means the longer a battery can last, or the more current it can supply in a circuit. When considering AA to D cell batteries, AA batteries usually have the shortest mAH life, while D cells have much greater mAH. A AA battery may have a mAH of 2000, while a D cell may have 10,000mAH. For this reason, D cells are physically bigger and are more expensive than C or AA batteries. It provides current for a longer period of time.

so in theory say your phone lasts for 8 hrs continuous use and has a 2,000mah battery then a 20,000mha power pack can recharge the phone 10 times for a total phone usage time of 80hrs before you'd need to find a power point to recharge both.

in real use though it won't actually recharge your phone 10 times because a certain amount of energy is lost in heat but i'd think at least 8 full charges is realistic, so you'd get 64hrs of continuous use before needing to find somewhere to recharge both.

hope that helps you.

here's a link of some of the best on the market :- http://www.pcadvisor...table-chargers/

:popcorn:  

nomanni

nomanni

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi, if you are looking to buy cheap and fast power bank, i can recommend a website to buy, here is the link: http://www.pbcheap.c...bile-power-bank

Hoping you can find the right one for yourself

thailen

thailen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

When I click on one of the power banks at PB Cheap, for example, a PB at 20,000maH, it lists the smart phones it will work with. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note3  N9000 Neo and it lists the N9000, but not the smaller Neo. Will it work with this model? Should I contact Samsung and ask them? Great site, BTW! Thanks!