Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer crashed trying to reinstall

• Please log in to reply

LUCYR

LUCYR

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

hopefully you guys can help , really don't know what I am doing. 

computer crashed managed to get into system to backup to an external hard drive HP My Passport. Did a recovery to put the computer back to original .

I am trying to reinstall my programmes that I backed up there is were I am running into problems. On my backup I see hp backup file with a bunch of .wim files and some other folders that go until it goes down to © then it goes into the wim files.

At the bottom there is a recovery application, and a recovery configuration setting. I ran the application but did not see any changes to the computer . files like my accounting programme are still not there ?

I then copy and paste the wim files into 7zip , I can see them in there just don't no how to reinstall them on computer

Any help would be great

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You can't backup and restore programs, just data. You need to reinstall the programs you want or need.

LUCYR

LUCYR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

so when I backed up what was that for. very upsetting  is there anyting I can do now or am I xxx////xx/

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

see if this helps you :- http://support.hp.co...ument/c03056985

:popcorn:

should add if you used windows to  back up and not the hp program then see if this helps :- http://windows.micro...p#1TC=windows-7

Edited by terry1966, 06 May 2015 - 11:12 PM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

The only safe way to back up installed programs and ensure they are installed when the backup is run is either to use a complete mirror image of the entire system, or to put a complete clone of the system on to a spare hard drive, which you then swap with the existing hard drive. Incidentally both those methods also backup the operating system as well.

Ordinary simple backup systems can only make a copy of data, music, video, documents, etc and cannot backup installed programs due to the complexity of the installation process.

Nev.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Any programs you had installed will need to be installed from either the CD or a download (if available) from the internet.

Sorry. There is no way around it.