Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 freezes in normal & safemode

• Please log in to reply

Mad_Night

Mad_Night

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
so everything is working fine then it freezes so i try ctrl thing and wit but nothing happens. when it comes back it freezes, so i turn it off and try safe mode but it freezes before it starts up. i turn it off again and wait a bit. it starts in safe mode so i to run this mal ware thing. it's going but then it stops and i wait and after a bit the timer starts going but nothing else changes and i can't move the mouce. i turn it off and leave it for 10 minutes and try again but it freezes before it starts. right now its off.
i don't know what to do. i am currently typeing this on a tablet.
any ideas?

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Mad_Night,

Can you provide system specs,make and model of PC. Can be many causes for this to happen, Bad RAM, not enough RAM, bad driver, too many startup items and or running processes, low HDD space, corrupt system files, outdated hardware drivers, faulty hardware and a virus..

Have you added any software or hardware recently ?

Did you try safe mode without networking ? Does it freeze up ? If not without networking can be Network adapter driver.

Can also try a clean boot  although similar to safe mode   https://support.micr...en-us/kb/929135

Try to run Memory test  http://ttp://windows...n-your-computer

Suggest a better tool, MemTest need access from another PC to make a bootable disc from this program to test memory    http://www.memtest.org/

Also in safe mode can try to run System File checker if you can, left click start button, right click command prompt   copy paste this      sfc /scannow

Edited by jds63, 06 May 2015 - 09:05 PM.

Mad_Night

Mad_Night

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
windows 7 64 bit   4gb ddr3 memory   500gb hd  anything else?

i tried safemode without the network.
about half hour after leaving it off i tried it a again and it worked. ran a scan with super anti spy ware and found some tracking stuff but that's it. then i scanned with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and found nothing.  so i leave it on and go get a little sleep and when i wake up it was off and had this about boot options or something.  i hit the power and when the option comes up i hit f12 and pick witch to boot from. anyway it tries this file check and i cancel it and now i'm in and it working fine. 
i did look at the memeory and there was like 1gb left so i deleted a few big things.  any way i'm wondering if it just might be my hdd that's the problem.

edit: i ran the malware thing again. i know it deleted something from the system 32 but it froze again before it finished.

edit 02: now its not picking up the hd at all

Edited by Mad_Night, 07 May 2015 - 06:14 AM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Mad_Night,

Exact make and model of system would of been best as i could of researched the specs.

What exactly happened again with safe mode without networking, did it freeze up then, keep it on awhile to see ? Super Anti-Spyware may have found tracking cookies from browsing internet. Not sure what Malwarebytes found and removed as this is not for me to determine but the Malware team here about virus removal if needed.

Do you have the Windows 7 operating disc ? You know if you have a recovery partition to do a factory reset in needed ? Need to boot to the system recovery options

http://windows.micro...tions=windows-7  <LOOK HERE!

Here have access to repair OS, use of command prompt to use system file checker   sfc /scannow   .Did you have a restore point before this happened ? Might be able to go back on best known configuration before this happened .  At this point we want to first try get system running with a possible repair disc, then we can check the HDD with chkdsk.

Edited by jds63, 07 May 2015 - 12:06 PM.

Mad_Night

Mad_Night

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
emachines EL1352-03

safe mode froze up before it started.

i don't have the os disc but i think i might have those recovery discs but im not sure where i put it.
there might be a restore point but i cant remember.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Always create a repair disc from beginning and also make recovery discs. Again do you know if there is a recovery partition on the PC installed by manufacturer when bought ?

This is a way to do a factory reset,  reinstalling Windows 7 and bringing it back to when you bought it.

Having this recovery partition even though do have the Windows 7 operating disc or recovery discs you will be able to reach the advanced recovery options when you boot up usually by pressing F8, F9 at Ssytems logo screen, some PC have different F key you need to press to get into it.

If you can get into this, you can try a restore point first then if does not help, a repair. Following the link i posted in post #4.

Never answered if you had added any hardware or software when this started happening.

Edited by jds63, 08 May 2015 - 02:48 PM.

Mad_Night

Mad_Night

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
sorry for the dely ive been bussie.
right now the pc doesn't even register the hd that the os is on.
anyway i just found two discs. one with that says "startup recovery" and the other "recovery"

nope didn't install anything. did dl something cuz i wanted to check it out.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Wondering that one marked startup recovery is a Repair disc you created once before. If this is true need to boot from this disc.

Follow steps here to open the system recovery options menu on the computer... with disc in the DVD drive.

Use startup repair option.

http://windows.micro...tions=windows-7

Let me know if this does not work, not sure if the hard drive is bad also.

Edited by jds63, 13 May 2015 - 03:01 PM.

Mad_Night

Mad_Night

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
ok it didn't work.
it started then i got "file setupreg.hiv could not be loadedthe error code is 4096"

any other ideas?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

So you tried the startup repair and you received this message ? Chances as said hard drive is bad or has bad sectors, disc is corrupt you used.

When you say the other disc is recovery, only one disc ? Usually more then one for recovery disc for Operating system when made in windows.

Did you have an issue getting into System Recovery options ? Might want you to try a Chkdsk at command prompt in the system recovery options., see from picture in last link

Copy and paste in command prompt, take some time to run                        chkdsk c: /f /r                

Ever make a system restore points, can't recall if i asked you ? Let's try first check the drive if we can. If disc is corrupt and that other disc is not recovery disc., not sure of other options yet,if truly have a partition on drive with factory reset of Windows 7, your machine would be here i believe   http://www.ehow.com/...ctory-disc.html

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Edited by jds63, 13 May 2015 - 06:27 PM.

Advertisements

Mad_Night

Mad_Night

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
none of that works because it doesnt even read the harddrive the os is on. so it says there isn't a boot device.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

You were not able to boot from the discs you have, you received an error, right ? Sure when tried this you did select the dvd drive from boot manager by pressing one of the F keys at top keyboard upon booting at the logo screen?

Can you enter your BIOS and check to see if your hard disk is detected there, usually F1,F2 or delete key to get in the BIOS just when you see your systems logo screen.

In BIOS should be something labeled "Primary Hard Drive" if it says "none" then your computer doesn't even recognize that a Hard Drive is connected, if says "none" possible the hard drive is not connected properly to the motherboard or came loose, try removing the connections and then re-insert them make sure the connections are tight. If this does not work possibility your hard drive has failed or is starting to fail.

Mad_Night

Mad_Night

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
well none of that worked so i guess the haard drive is gone.
can you still get windows 7?
anyway thanks for the help^^

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

You mean none, no Hard drive detected in BIOS and even after checking connections ? Yes you can still get Windows 7, not sure best source assume a reliable retailer. Your welcome

May need a HDD if so first.

Here is one place trusted retailer as i do not know where you live http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832416806

Edited by jds63, 19 May 2015 - 01:33 PM.

Mad_Night

Mad_Night

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
yup nothing. so now i'm gonna need to get hdd and os.
i am thinking of trying out linux since it'll be a bit till i can get win 7.
any way thank you for trying to help. i realy appreciate it.