Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows wont start up

• Please log in to reply

racquetballgirl

racquetballgirl

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok... I NEED HELP!!! Son used computer last night and now it doesn't work. He says he clicked on something but it didn't go anywhere... I am recieving a SMART error that I have imminent failure...Back up files and replace hard drive.
I am desperately trying to back up files, only problem is that windows wont start up. I tried in safe mode,,, last known good config.,, normally...NOTHING!!!!! I need to find a way to get in and atleast back up WORD. All my business is there!!!!! And of course I have no current back up. :tazz: anyone have any ideas??

Thanks

Advertisements

ControlSet00x

ControlSet00x

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
do you have another computer in the house?

racquetballgirl

racquetballgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes I have a laptop that I am using now..

ControlSet00x

ControlSet00x

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
hmm, i was hoping you had another PC so we could use its HD to get your files. does the same error occur no matter what method you use to try and login?
if you can copy all the info that is shown when the error comes up and post it here.
also, do you have the re-installation disks that came w/ your PC or the ones for your laptop?

Edited by ControlSet00x, 13 June 2005 - 07:06 PM.

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Hello,

I dont mean to take away from ControlSet00x from helping you. If all else fails.... I would reccomend taking your computer into a computer repair shop and they should be able to get most of your files from your harddrive.

Edited by Jfcap, 13 June 2005 - 07:33 PM.

racquetballgirl

racquetballgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
There is a blue screen that comes up for a split second which I cannot read because it closes so quickly :tazz: .. It teases me by going to the Windows XP screen like it's going to load and then It just reverts back to the start up screen where windows tell you that it did not start up properly. I have tried in safe mode, normal mode and last known good config.. I know the SMART error message is telling me that the hard drive can go but not that it has... I just need to find a way to start windows.. I don't have a start up disk and I certainly dont want to do a system restore!!!!

Thanks for your help guys I am pulling my hair out!!!!!

ControlSet00x

ControlSet00x

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
well here's something that will work. it's going to require you to get inside your comp but it should solve the prob of not being able to access your files. you need to get a HD with Windows 2k or xp installed on it.
you'll then remove your old HD from your comp and switch its jumper to SLAVE.
on the new drive you'll set the jumper to Master (if you don't know about jumpers i'll explain)
then install both drives on the same cable with the MASTER connected closer to the motherboard on the cable.
after you login you'll be able to access your files on the SLAVE drive. the slave will appear as a different volume, probably letter F or E