Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Best way to filter out IP addresses with hardware..?

• Please log in to reply

kingneil

kingneil

• Pip
  • 6 posts

I am looking to filter out IP addresses using hardware external to the computer itself.

I have decided that using Windows' system for filtering IPs/hosts is no good, because if someone hacked the computer itself, then they could just alter all of that anyway.

So it needs to be some external device, that can't be hacked.

The thing is, I am in a place where other people use the same router as me. So, using any built-in IP address filtering on the router is no good.

It needs to be some kind of hardware device that is placed between my computer, and the router.

It would have the ability to

1. Filter out all IP addresses except certain ones

2. Or, just filter out certain IP addresses

What is your recommendation for this...?

Advertisements

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,573 posts

In this forum we specialize in Malware Removal. Your inquiry would be more appropriate in one of our other forums. I suggest the Hardware, Components and Peripherals forum. I'll move your topic there.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

how do you connect to the router? wifi or wired?

no recommendations per se,

you have a number of options available to you,

not least of which is adding a cheap/old linux pc in between yours and the router to act as it's server/firewall.

here's a guide on using a rasberry pi :-  http://www.instructa...-Syst/?ALLSTEPS

here's where you can buy the $35 rasberry pi 2 :- https://www.raspberr...y-pi-2-on-sale/

probably the easiest solution though is to just add your own router between your pc and the public networks router with it's own set of firewall rules that no-one else can access and change and won't effect others on the network.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 11 May 2015 - 02:26 PM.