Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disable fn key

keyboard disable fn key fn broken hardware physical

• Please log in to reply

pleasehelpmepls

pleasehelpmepls

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I want to apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section, I'm new to the forum. If it is I would kindly request that a mod move it to the appropriate area.

Long story short I dropped a textbook on my keyboard and it completely obliterated my fn key (it's the one to the left in the picture I've attached). The computer is reading the fn key as being pressed down, and this has caused problems because my arrow keys have functions attached to them (volume up and down/brightness up and down). 

Yes, I know that Google is my friend. I tried KeyMapper and Mapkeyboard which supposedly can remap/disable keys. Neither program had the fn key as a mappable key. Mucking around in my BIOS looking for the ability to disable the fn key was also fruitless

I tried SharpKeys, and while it looked more promising I wasn't able to discern what the fn key would be in the registry lingo (if it was even there at all). I think this might be my best bet, but obviously I can't press the fn key to figure out what it's registry code is.

Obviously a physical repair is in order, but money is tight right now and with finals around the corner it's just not feasible. I need a functioning keyboard, and typing papers without arrow keys is supremely annoying.

If anyone can offer any help, it'd be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150508_010858.jpg

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hello,

[Num] (4th key from the top right) then [Fn] (2nd key buttom left) and then [Ctrl] (the Strg 1st Key buttom left) -> all held together.
This reverted the keys back as normal. Short text:
Answer: [Num] [Fn] and [Ctrl] -> all held together.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, is that the keyboard on the laptop?

It does actually look like a separate keyboard.

However, a USB keyboard might be an answer if there is a way to completely disable the onboard keyboard. (Some laptops you can others you can't)

In the interim and providing the keyboard is actually the laptop one, first remove all power and the battery, then with a small screwdriver try and prize out the metal bits of the broken FN key as it is those bits which have shorted, causing the computer to see the FN key as pressed. It won't matter as a repair will be a complete new keyboard any way.

Nev.

pleasehelpmepls

pleasehelpmepls

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello,

[Num] (4th key from the top right) then [Fn] (2nd key buttom left) and then [Ctrl] (the Strg 1st Key buttom left) -> all held together.
This reverted the keys back as normal. Short text:
Answer: [Num] [Fn] and [Ctrl] -> all held together.

Hi, much thanks for the speedy reply. I gave it a shot, but since the fn key is non-existent I wasn't able to hold it down and so nothing changed. Thanks so much for the help anyway though, I really appreciate it.

Hi, is that the keyboard on the laptop?

It does actually look like a separate keyboard.

However, a USB keyboard might be an answer if there is a way to completely disable the onboard keyboard. (Some laptops you can others you can't)

In the interim and providing the keyboard is actually the laptop one, first remove all power and the battery, then with a small screwdriver try and prize out the metal bits of the broken FN key as it is those bits which have shorted, causing the computer to see the FN key as pressed. It won't matter as a repair will be a complete new keyboard any way.

Nev.

It's the keyboard attached to the laptop itself, I was able to borrow a bluetooth keyboard from a buddy today for some work I had to do so that's been very helpful. Thanks for the tip, I assume you're probably right about getting right to the key itself, but currently I don't have the time or the tools on me to get that done. Thanks anyway though.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

OK, an external keyboard is the temporary answer for now, the full repair is a new keyboard to be fitted. If not used to or keen on dismantling tricky to work on equipment, a repair technician is the best way forward when you can afford that.

Nev.