Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Free Internet Security Software

• Please log in to reply

jbljohn

jbljohn

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
What is the best free internet security software recommended by Geeks to Go? Thanks!

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi jbljohn :)

As far as I know, there's no "best free Internet security software" recommended by GeeksToGo. I think the word you're looking for is "Antivirus" :) The sticky thread in this section do indeed have recommendations of good free Antivirus to use, however the last update was in 2013, so it might be a bit outdated.

Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software

If you want, I can make give you a personal recommendations, but I'll need you to answer certain questions.

What version of Windows are you running?
Are you currently using an Antivirus software, Antimalware and/or Firewall? If so, which one(s)?
What are you doing on your computer mostly?
What are your computer specs?

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Aura,
Running Windows 8.1
Free Avast Anti-Virus Software
Going on vacation for a week and will be using Quicken do not want anyone to be able to hack into my Computer
Probably have Windows Firewall and not sure about computer specs.
I run Malwarebytes and TFC every two weeks.
Thanks!

Edited by jbljohn, 08 May 2015 - 11:46 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
If you could give me your computer specs, it would help a lot. Follow the instructions below please.

ik5xYHs.pngSpeccy - Publish a snapshot
Follow the instructions below to download and install Speccy, then to publish a snapshot of your system information:
  • Download and install Speccy from Piriform (the download will start automatically a few seconds after clicking on the Speccy link);
    Note: You can opt-out the Google Toolbar installation if you want;
  • Once Speccy is installed, launch the program and give it a good minute to load all your system information;
  • After that, click on the File menu in the top left corner, and select Publish Snapshot;
  • A window will appear asking you to confirm your decision to publish a snapshot. Click on Yes;
  • A new window will appear after, with a URL link to your snapshot. Click on Copy to Clipboard button to copy that URL to your clipboard, then paste it in your next reply and post it;
Also, there's not a single system that is fully "hack-proof". avast! Free is a decent Antivirus, I actually recommend it a lot.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Aura, I believe you answered my question in your last sentence when you said there is no "Hack Proof" software. Thanks for your time, I really appreciate what you guys do for us computer illiterates!

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No problem :) If you have more questions related to that topic, feel free to ask them here.

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello jbljohn,

Since I noticed you are running Windows 8.1 I just wanted to inform you that Windows Defender comes built-in and works pretty well for being free!  See canned below:

Are you aware that Windows 8 and 8.1 both have an updated version of Windows Defender that offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need third party AV protection and by not installing any you are reducing the possibility of potential conflicts and freeing up resources on your computer, information courtesy of admin here

Good luck and enjoy your weekend!