Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD drive won't let disk run and keeps beeping

• Please log in to reply

CoolAndrew11

CoolAndrew11

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I have been trying to install windows 7 and it keeps beeping and won't run. I thought maybe it was the disk so i tried a movie and it still didn't work. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling my disk drivers.

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, CD/DVD drives have separate heads one for CD's the other for DVD's, have you tried any ordinary audio CD's in the drive?

If similar results it may be the complete drive needs replacing, is this on a desktop or a laptop/notebook.?

If a laptop/notebook is it a tray that slides out or a simple slot type drive?

Nev.

CoolAndrew11

CoolAndrew11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

i have tried a normal audio and it is a laptop. it's a simple slot type.

Edited by CoolAndrew11, 08 May 2015 - 03:54 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

i have tried a normal audio and it is a laptop. it's a simple slot type.

Sure this is coming from DVD drive ? Nev, is right if so. Never heard of this happening unless made some changes inside laptop recently.

CoolAndrew11

CoolAndrew11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

it was the first place i could think of. i don't know where else it could be.

Edited by CoolAndrew11, 08 May 2015 - 05:17 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

it was the first place i could think of. i don't know where else it could be.

Basically if it is not reading the discs or any disc. Beeping from what i know on dvd drive would be it is hooked up wrong inside.

If did not open laptop or change anything recently then it possibly is the drive.

Anyway describe the beep, two beeps, one beep, a long beep is it very low or loud, not a screach or squealing ? Just wondering if it may be coming from BIOS, CMOS battery (beeps) as Motherboard has small speaker to emit sound, like a beeping when there is an issue. Doubtfully a driver issueas it uses windows generic driver, does not require any manufacturer driver to work.

Why trying to install Windows 7, laptop have Vista now ? Try canned air, spray into drive when open, clean optical laser

Edited by jds63, 08 May 2015 - 06:48 PM.

CoolAndrew11

CoolAndrew11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

It is two beeps  screaching and it was fixed so the computer might of been opened and i will try your idea thanks.

Edited by CoolAndrew11, 08 May 2015 - 07:33 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

It is two beeps  screaching and it was fixed so the computer might of been opened and i will try your idea thanks.

Two beeps and a screach ? What do you mean fixed, had it in for repair once ? Kind of need to go back to when this started and what was done at the time i believe,YW.

CoolAndrew11

CoolAndrew11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

they had to replace a wire.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

If that repair was recent, as in a few months or less, I would take it back as there is still something wrong that should be covered by their own warranty on their work. Do not be fobbed off by them, if they are decent techs they will not quibble, if not you do have consumer rights.

Nev.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

If that repair was recent, as in a few months or less, I would take it back as there is still something wrong that should be covered by their own warranty on their work. Do not be fobbed off by them, if they are decent techs they will not quibble, if not you do have consumer rights.

Nev.

Good to see you Nev, from what i felt even if drive is bad, beeps sometimes caused by connections as never heard of a beep coming from a DVD Drive unless this is the case. Now that said it was opened up once for repair.

Edited by jds63, 09 May 2015 - 03:23 PM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Like you jds63, we both know there is no reason for a disk drive to have a beeps type of speaker, fair enough there could be some firmware system that makes the normal BIOS beep speaker give a warning if a fault on the drive. However accompanied with a metallic screeching noise, there is certainly something wrong with the drive hardware.

If as CoolAndrew said it is a slot type they are quite difficult to replace for an ordinary user unlike the tray types, so I would recommend taking to a technician regardless of the fact there should be some warranty on the original repairs.

Nev.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Yes, first was only a beep is why i answered it way i felt, then a screach. As i felt to research it more myself because i never heard of just a beep coming from the drive from not being able to read a disc.Beep to me is like a warning something is not right, but now that i think about it myself it should also happen upon boot. Then i did not know it was recently repaired till after a few posts.

Edited by jds63, 10 May 2015 - 01:37 PM.