Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection dropping and reconnecting very frequently

internet connection problems connectivity network problems

• Please log in to reply

AK_Doug

AK_Doug

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Good night, or morning depending on where you live.  This is my first time on the forums and I wanted to see if I could get help from some tech experts on here. See, I've had a problem with my internet connection for the past few weeks that's been persistent and pretty annoying.  

My internet connection keeps disconnecting and reconnecting in a way that makes it almost predictable.  After a few minutes of browsing, my internet connection just drops, and I can see the red 'x' appearing on the network icon at the bottom right of my screen.  I give it a few seconds and it reconnects.

I'm running windows 7 on an HP Pavilion slimline, and recently subscribed to a broadband internet connection from Time Warner Cable, which I switched over to from AT&T's DSL service.  I was given a router/gateway with the subscription, an ARRIS TG862G Router that seems to be working just fine when providing wifi signal, but the main issue is coming from the internet on the computer itself.  The router is connected through our cable service.

I'm not too sure how to solve this problem, and have looked at other posts from people having the same issues, but they don't seem to be helping.  If anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated, and I'll be able to provide pictures or more information if needed.  Thanks. 

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Wikipedia: WiFi > Interference

Interference

For more details on this topic, see Electromagnetic interference at 2.4 GHz.

Wi-Fi connections can be disrupted or the internet speed lowered by having other devices in the same area. Many 2.4 GHz 802.11b and 802.11g access-points default to the same channel on initial startup, contributing to congestion on certain channels. Wi-Fi pollution, or an excessive number of access points in the area, especially on the neighboring channel, can prevent access and interfere with other devices' use of other access points, caused by overlapping channels in the 802.11g/b spectrum, as well as with decreased signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) between access points. This can become a problem in high-density areas, such as large apartment complexes or office buildings with many Wi-Fi access points.

Additionally, other devices use the 2.4 GHz band: microwave ovens, ISM band devices, security cameras, ZigBee devices, Bluetooth devices, video senders, cordless phones, baby monitors, and (in some countries) Amateur radio all of which can cause significant additional interference. It is also an issue when municipalities or other large entities (such as universities) seek to provide large area coverage.

Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.

AK_Doug

AK_Doug

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Wikipedia: WiFi > Interference

Interference

For more details on this topic, see Electromagnetic interference at 2.4 GHz.

Wi-Fi connections can be disrupted or the internet speed lowered by having other devices in the same area. Many 2.4 GHz 802.11b and 802.11g access-points default to the same channel on initial startup, contributing to congestion on certain channels. Wi-Fi pollution, or an excessive number of access points in the area, especially on the neighboring channel, can prevent access and interfere with other devices' use of other access points, caused by overlapping channels in the 802.11g/b spectrum, as well as with decreased signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) between access points. This can become a problem in high-density areas, such as large apartment complexes or office buildings with many Wi-Fi access points.

Additionally, other devices use the 2.4 GHz band: microwave ovens, ISM band devices, security cameras, ZigBee devices, Bluetooth devices, video senders, cordless phones, baby monitors, and (in some countries) Amateur radio all of which can cause significant additional interference. It is also an issue when municipalities or other large entities (such as universities) seek to provide large area coverage.

Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.

I'm sorry, but what does this have to do with the problem I'm having?

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi in SpywareDr's absence till he returns, he means the problem could be due to either a near neighbour using a similar system and the same WiFi bands, causing yours to drop out, or it could also be something as simple as a faulty heating or even refrigerator thermostat.

To rule out a WiFi problem can you connect directly to the router using a cable and let us know if the problem persists.

Nev.