Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP - When right clicking on a file(context menu) it takes a long ti

winxp context menu right click

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

nyceshirtz

nyceshirtz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

i only right clicked it

Advertisements

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

One more question. Do you notice that the delay only happens when right-clicking on PDFs? Or does it happen on any file type (i.e. .txt file, .DOC)?

nyceshirtz

nyceshirtz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

it happens on all files; txt, jpg etc...

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Thanks. Looking at your log, it doesn't appear that you are in a pure clean boot state. During the 24 second gap I see Advanced SystemCare 6 Monitor and Webroot SecureAnywhere running. It's highly suspect. So we need to do one of two things.

1. Temporarily uninstall both programs. Just make sure you have any license keys so that if you need to re-install them you can. This is the best option.

2. If you are not fond of trying that then I would suggest disabling each of the programs and then ensure you do a clean boot. Here is information on doing a Clean Boot. You can skip the scheduled task steps.

Then we need to see if the issue happens again and if so get a capture. Let me know what you decide.

nyceshirtz

nyceshirtz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

it wasnt on a clean boot, as i was in 'normal' mode........ i will try it again as time permits......thanks again for your expertise....have a great weekend...

nyceshirtz

nyceshirtz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

ran it with clean boot....

right clicked c:\Updates\7-11\bbb response.pdf

https://www.dropbox....ogfile.zip?dl=0

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

How long did the right-click take on this attempt?

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

OK, I have an idea. Since it's happening to multiple file extensions I have a feeling it's a misbehaving context menu handler. Please do the following.

Identify Misbehaving Context Menu Handler

1. Please download this file to your desktop.

2. Right-click on the downloaded file named shexview.zip and select Open With...Compressed (zipped) folders

3. Click the Extract all files link. Accept all the defaults to extract the contents

4. Double-click to open shexview.exe and allow the program to load.

5. Click the Type column header so everything is sorted by this column.

6. Focus on only the items with a Type of Context Menu and only the items that have a pink background. The one's that have a pink background are third part ones.

7. Right-click on each one of the pink ones and select Disable Selected Items. Answer Yes when asked to confirm.

8. At this point all the pink ones are disabled. Now reboot your machine and see if you still have the issue.

Thanks.

nyceshirtz

nyceshirtz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

problem occurred in both clean boot and normal boot.  

logfileCB=clean boot.

logfile=normal boot.

file right clicked c:\Updates\7-11\bbb response.pdf...

both times with appropriate context menus disabled. 

https://www.dropbox....fileCB.zip?dl=0

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

OK, I have a couple more ideas but I need you to try the following first. Create a simple .txt document in Notepad and save it to your desktop. When you right-click on the .txt document, let me know if you still have the same issue now that the context menus are disabled.

Then do the same thing for a new Word Document. Save to your desktop and then right-click and let me know if you have the same issue.

Advertisements

nyceshirtz

nyceshirtz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

did as you requested with a test.txt file on the desktop(not on a clean boot).  right clicked and it was instantaneous.  right clicked it a few more times rapidly, and it was instantaneous again.  waited 1 minute, right clicked and then the problem reoccurred.  after the problem occurred, right clicked immediately after and it was an instantaneous response....  perhaps something is getting paged out and it takes that long to page it back in?  did not do the word doc text...awaiting your thoughts.

test.txt on the desktop

Edited by nyceshirtz, 16 May 2015 - 10:29 AM.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

I don't suspect it's a paging issue as your machine isn't starving for memory and the file is very small.

To be honest there are too many variables when not in a Clean Boot state. If you don't mind, when time permits, please boot into a Clean Boot state and try the .txt file as well as the .doc file and let me know the results.

Thanks.

nyceshirtz

nyceshirtz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

here is the logfile, clean boot..... it still took a bit of a while, appx 15 seconds, but still a delay... i really dont use word, so im not sure if it is set up correctly.... i use wordperfect version 7! lol

test.txt on desktop rightclicked....

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

OK, thanks for the info. Please do the following and let me know if it's any better.

Step#1 - FRST Fix
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system
1. Download attached file and save it to the Desktop. Attached File  fixlist.txt   178bytes   178 downloads
Note. It's important that both files, FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work (in this case...the desktop).
2. Run FRST by Right-Clicking on the file and choosing Run as administrator.
3. Press the Fix button just once and wait. If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
4. When finished FRST will generate a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please post the contents of it in your reply.

nyceshirtz

nyceshirtz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

sorry for this question, but do you want me to boot regular or clean?