Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WinXP - When right clicking on a file(context menu) it takes a long ti

winxp context menu right click

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,583 posts

For now let's always test in clean boot.

Advertisements

nyceshirtz

nyceshirtz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

ok....it created 4 files....here is the link:

https://www.dropbox....hellex.zip?dl=0

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,583 posts

Thanks. How's the speed of the right-click now?

nyceshirtz

nyceshirtz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

same!!!  maybe i didnt something right.... when running FRST i hit SCAN first instead of FIX....i realized my mistake and ran it again, this time pressing FIX...thats why it shows up run #2 on the output....

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,583 posts

No, you did it just fine. It just didn't work. Go ahead and double-click on the shellex.reg file that is on your desktop. Allow it to merge into your registry.

At this point I only have two things left for you to try.

1. Completely uninstall Advanced SystemCare 6 Monitor and Webroot SecureAnywhere. If any of these are paid for products, just make sure you have any license key that is necessary to re-install.

2. If the above doesn't fix your issue then the only other thing I can think of at this point is a repair installation of Windows XP.

Are you willing to try the 1st option?

nyceshirtz

nyceshirtz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

i can try option 1...btw, what is your thinking that its either of the 2 items above....advanced system has been running forever ..webroot was installed a while ago.....i will uninstall each one separately, run clean and attempt to recreate the problem.....

Edited by nyceshirtz, 18 May 2015 - 10:43 AM.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,583 posts

btw, what is your thinking that its either of the 2 items above

We completely eliminated your context menu handler for shell extensions and the problem still existed. This is the most common cause of this issue. Even while in a Clean Boot I still saw at least one of those two programs running.

Let me know the results.

nyceshirtz

nyceshirtz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

still have the delay...i guess time for re-install....can u walk me through it?

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,583 posts

Sure. Do you have your Windows XP CD?

Before we do, please boot your machine into Safe mode and let me know if the delay is still there.

Safe Mode

1. Shut down your machine.

2. Turn your machine on and start tapping the F8 key about a second a part until the Advanced Options menu comes up.

3. Use your arrow keys to select Safe Mode and then hit enter on the keyboard.

SafeMode.JPG

4. You may be prompted with another screen that may show the recovery console or Windows XP. Select Windows XP and hit enter.

5. Log on to your machine. You will see Safe Mode in all four corners of your screen to remind you that you are in this mode.

Let me know if the issue exists in Safe Mode. Thanks.

nyceshirtz

nyceshirtz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

i was UNABLE to reproduce the problem.....finally a clue....this was a regular boot in safe mode with networking(webroot was running in safe mode)...

Edited by nyceshirtz, 18 May 2015 - 04:03 PM.

Advertisements

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,583 posts

That's great news. There's hope yet. Safe Mode is about as low level as you can get. Let's go one level higher and see if the issue presents itself.

1. Boot back into Normal mode.

2. Click the Start button, choose Run, type msconfig and click OK.

3. On the General tab, click the "Diagnostic Startup" radio button and click Apply.

4. Click Close and you will be prompted to restart. Please do and let me know if the issue presents itself.

Thanks.

nyceshirtz

nyceshirtz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

under DIAGNOSTIC mode, i was UNABLE to recreate the problem...instantaneous with right-clicking....

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,583 posts

Awesome. No let's enable Startup Items only.

Selective Startup with Startup Items only.

1. Click the Start button, choose Run, type msconfig and click OK.

2. On the General tab, click the "Selective Startup" radio button.

3. Also check the "Load Startup Items" checkbox and then Click Apply.

4. Click Close and you will be prompted to restart. Please do and let me know if the issue presents itself.

nyceshirtz

nyceshirtz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

hi!

sorrry for the delay...

i narrowed it down to the DHCP Client Service.  When its enabled, i have the delay, when it is not enabled, i dont have the delay.

when its enabled, all dependancies are started.

I updated my network card driver, added the following network items thru windows add/remove components:

peer-to-peer

rip listener

simple tcp/ip services

UpnP User interface

when i had all network components, i rebooted and the taskbar froze and didnt load properly.

when i removed the added components, all came back to normal, including the delay....

when i start/stop/restart the service, the problem continues to appear when it is started/restarted.  the problem disappears when i stop the service.

definitely is DFHCP client service.

any more suggestions?

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,583 posts

Interesting. Please do the following. This will create a file on your desktop named HKCR.reg. Please zip and attach or upload to SendSpace and provide a link.

Reg Export
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system
1. Download attached file and save it to the Desktop. Attached File  fixlist.txt   75bytes   26 downloads
Note. It's important that both files, FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work (in this case...the desktop).
2. Run FRST by Right-Clicking on the file and choosing Run as administrator.
3. Press the Fix button just once and wait. If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
4. When finished FRST will generate a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please post the contents of it in your reply.