Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wi-Fi dropping continuously

wi-fi

• Please log in to reply

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Ok so here is the deal. When I use wi-fi on different devices my router reboots. I am on my third replacement router because of this issue. I will be looking at stuff on my tablet, or my phone, or my parents laptop, or even now my desktop (which is wired) and the router reboots. At first I had thought it was a bad router but I received a new one the other day and the problem has persisted. This is maddening and I am ready to pitch this router and buy a new one. I want to figure out though if it is the router for certain before I shell out $100+ for a new one.

I have a netgear n600 dual band router, motorola sb6121 modem, a win 7 desktop, samsung galaxy tab 3, google nexus 5 phone, and a laptop of some sort. I am at my wits end here and would absolutely love some help.

Advertisements

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

I have had to disconnect my router and pluf the modem directly into the computer as it is continually connecting and dropping connecting and dropping.

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello BrianR1976,

If you're seeing message "Router is currently measuring internet speed" or something like that when you connect to the router, you can use this solution:

1. go to Advanced / QOS engine
  2. make sure Automatic uplink speed is NOT checked.
  3. you can manually setup your internet speeds, so your router will not periodically check the speed
  4. or you can turn OFF the whole Traffic shaping

If you're not experiencing that router message, then check cmd to make sure you're not set to IPv6 only.  Check the IP lease timer and compare it to when the next router reboot happens.

Good luck!

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

I went ahead and just bought a different router so this thread can be closed