Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LOST USE OF DUAL MONITOR SETUP

• Please log in to reply

LINKUP19GS

LINKUP19GS

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I am running win xp pro service pack 2. I have been running a dual monitor setup on my machine for over a year. and have had no problems with this. one card is a nvidia riva tnt2 model 64 pro agp and an older s3 virge dx/gx pci card. I recently installed sp2 and xp plus and the machine was running fine including the dual monitor setup but some how I managed to lose my dual monitor setup I keep getting the error message "error 10 this device can not start" I have uninstalled and reinstalled the devices but they will only start if it is set as the default device meaning that only one device will be operable rendering the other inoperable. any help would and will be appreciated. Is there some device conflict?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

some how I managed to lose my dual monitor setup

What did you change when this happened?

LINKUP19GS

LINKUP19GS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Dear sir your response perplexes me. As I tried to explain everything that I had recently done. I have even gone as far to try another pci video card uninstalling my win plus used the trouble shooter in xp and still have no luck would sp2 have anything to do with it? Like I said the computer was working just fine one day the next nothing doing with the dual setup all of my video card check out as do my monitors. thanks for your time and patience

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Here's what I'd suggest. Uninstall all your video drivers using Driver Cleaner:
http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

Uninstall your video devices in device manager:
http://www.microsoft.../devicemgr.mspx

Restart your computer, let the hardware wizard install both cards, and install the latest video drivers from the mfg's websites. Also, check to see if there's a driver update for your motherboard chipset.

Reboot, and cross your fingers. <_<

LINKUP19GS

LINKUP19GS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I tried what you suggested but still nothing doing. I am thouroghly confused and exasperated. I am thinking of uninstalling sp2 if possible and reinstalling who knows???? thanks again.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It is possible to un-install SP2, but I'd be surprised if that fixed it. :D

Do you have another card to try? Maybe you have a hardware failure. <_<

LINKUP19GS

LINKUP19GS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well guys after uninstalling sp2 my dual monitor setup began working again. I am going to reinstall sp2 and see if I can duplicate what I surely must have done wrong the first time around that away I will be sure not to do it again accidentally. Thanks for your help and patience. I'll let you know what it was when I figure it out........... <_< :D

LINKUP19GS

LINKUP19GS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Alright guys I figured what killed my dual monitor setup. It was sp2 as I reinstalled sp2 my dual monitor setup was lost. I remember the first time I installed sp2 and xp plus at the same time and when I finally did the required restart for sp2 to start I lost my dual monitor function. Tell me guys I know that sp2 is new and there has not been much time for too much feed back but has there been anyone complain other than me that you know of. I know that service pack2 supports my cards as I can like I said before use both individually but not together what a shame if I can get no relief I am going to uninstall sp2 for good as I enjoy the use of my dual monitor setup more than the supposed help offered from sp2. I hope it does not come to that. Your friend in tech da missing link.........