Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Holy Smokes! We got a bad one! Computer freezing, pop ups like

Freezing Farbar wont download Pop ups Memory usage thru the roof hard to use.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Norton went well but kaspersky couldnt find the specific product to remove. It is giving me a dropdown box with all their products..Any idea witch one it is?

Select Kaspersky Anti-Virus/Internet Security 2011. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

uFinditEazy!

uFinditEazy!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

I did both, seem to go well. I did a restart and these errors came up. msseces.exe app error (0xc000007b). Also, GfxUI has stopped working.

uFinditEazy!

uFinditEazy!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Also, scantopcactivationapp.exe- app error 0xc000007b.

uFinditEazy!

uFinditEazy!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

JFYI, I did choose 2011 antivirus. Got lucky. =)

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

JFYI, I did choose 2011 antivirus. Got lucky. =)

:) There are several pairs of eyes watching this topic now and looking over the logs, but we're looking at a corrupt Registry and probably a corrupt operating system. There are some things we can try to try and repair it. So, let's get started. :thumbsup:

Step 1: Command Prompt

Click on the Start button and in the search box, type Command Prompt.
When you see Command Prompt on the list, right-click on it and select Run as administrator.
At the command prompt type in the command below:

lodctr /r

Once this has completed, please reboot the machine, and then try running FRST again.

If FRST runs successfully, please post the log. If it doesn't, please proceed to Step #2.

Step 2: Windows All-In One Portable

1. Download Windows Repair (All-in-One) Portable to your desktop.
2. Once the file is downloaded, right-click on the file on your desktop and choose Extract All...
Extract_zpslcolkvaf.jpg
3. Keep the defaults and click the Extract button.
4. A folder named tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio will be extracted to the desktop. Once the extraction is complete the folder will open.
5. Inside this folder, there is a folder named Tweaking.com - Windows Repair. Open this folder as well.
capture_zpsgzfcnobz.jpg

6. Double-click on Repair_Windows.exe to open.
7. When the program opens, click the Repairs tab and click the Open Repairs button.
8. A backup of your registry will be made. After a few moments you will have many options from which you can choose.
9. Keep the defaults and don't change anything.
10. Ensure the Restart check box is selected and click the Start Repairs button in the lower right of the screen. This may take some time to run so be patient.
StartRepairsWithReboot_zpsgtiaxxan.jpg
11. Once the fixes are complete you will be prompted to restart your machine. Answer Yes.

Upon completion of this step, please try running FRST again. If you get the same error, please let me know.

uFinditEazy!

uFinditEazy!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

FRST still did not open with the same error. I am also not having much luck with windows all in one as it is can unzip and says it is not a valid win32 (0x800700c1)

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

FRST still did not open with the same error. I am also not having much luck with windows all in one as it is can unzip and says it is not a valid win32 (0x800700c1)

You can unzip it, but when you try and run the Repair_Windows.exe, you get not the valid error?

uFinditEazy!

uFinditEazy!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Ok, I opened the folder you asked and it gives me 2 options. 1 to run. if I run it it says windows found it to be harmful..The other option is to extract all.. when I do this it says that win32 error.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Ok, I opened the folder you asked and it gives me 2 options. 1 to run. if I run it it says windows found it to be harmful..The other option is to extract all.. when I do this it says that win32 error.

Ok, you right clicked on the file after it downloaded and selected Extract. When it was done, it opened the folder and showed you the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair folder. You double clicked on that, and then you double clicked on Repair_Windows.exe that's when the error occurred?

uFinditEazy!

uFinditEazy!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

I downloaded it and winzip didnt have a evaluation any more so I downloaded 7-zip. It didnt open when I opened the download so this may be the problem. Dont know what to do?

Advertisements

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

I downloaded it and winzip didnt have a evaluation any more so I downloaded 7-zip. It didnt open when I opened the download so this may be the problem. Dont know what to do?

You don't need anything like Winzip to open it. All you'll need to do is left click the zip file once, then right click and select Extract all from the menu that will pop up. Once that is extracted, you should be able to proceed with the rest of the instructions starting with #3 in post #80. :thumbsup:

uFinditEazy!

uFinditEazy!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

I am having no luck opening it at all! very frustrating.. I cant even open it now..

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

I am having no luck opening it at all! very frustrating.. I cant even open it now..

No worries, we'll get it. :) Let's check and make sure that Windows Explorer is set as the program to open it.

Left click on the file, and then right click and select Properties.

When the properties menu opens, you'll see Opens With and it should say Windows Explorer.

If it does not, click Change and then select Windows Explorer from the menu that will open.

If you do not have to change it to Windows Explorer, look at the bottom of the properties menu at Security.

If it says "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer." click the Unblock button.

Click Apply.

Click ok, and then start with #2 in Post #80.

uFinditEazy!

uFinditEazy!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

well it says file folder..archive root directory etc.. Nothing about opening with.

uFinditEazy!

uFinditEazy!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

I am using chrome. should I be using IE?