Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Incompatibility from RAM card or laptop model

ram upgrade commpatibility

• Please log in to reply

akakaaykay

akakaaykay

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey, I currently using a HP Pavilion 14 Notebook PC, and my current RAM is a 4GB 1RxB PC3L-12800S-11-11-B3.

I hope to increase the RAM of the laptop by adding a RAM card from my previous laptop Lenovo Y470, the RAM card being 4GB 2Rx8 PC3-10600S-09-10-F2.

I have tried adding the extra RAM card and booting up on my HP laptop but the RAM still remains at 4GB. I want to know how and why it happens. Does the incompatibility arise from the laptop model or the existing RAM card?

Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

:welcome:     akakaaykay,

I have tried adding the extra RAM card and booting up on my HP laptop but the RAM still remains at 4GB.

Couple of questions if I may;

Where is the 4GB showing, in the BIOS, in Windows or in both.

Is your operating system 32 or 64-bit.

Meanwhile a possible explanation, the present 4GB 1RxB PC3L-12800S-11-11-B3 memory stick is the 1.35V low voltage type whereas the 4GB 2Rx8 PC3-10600S-09-10-F2 memory stick that you have now fitted is the more commonly used 1.5V type, this could explain your problem if the Samsung Ram is not the dual voltage type that is compatible with both 1.35 and 1.5V memory slots, Crucial explain this better here than my waffling would  :)

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page.