Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Changed computer name and lost internet access please help

• Please log in to reply

MARIMARI

MARIMARI

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello,

I recently got a new (used) PC with windows Vista. My brother set everything up and it was working fine. I downloaded Norton from Comcast and also changed the computer name. Now I have no internet access. The other computer on the network is working fine. I tried setting up a new network connection but that didn't work. Could you please help me with this problem? Thank you.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,090 posts
Since it worked before you installed Norton, uninstall it and see if it works again. If yes, use a different AV program.

MARIMARI

MARIMARI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I will try that but I think it has something to do with the server?? DHCP??  I just can't figure it out.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,090 posts

Open a Elevated Command Prompt:

Click on the Start button and type cmd.
DO NOT press Enter or click Go.
Look at the upper part of the window and you will see cmd.exe.
Right click on it and select Run as Administrator.

Paste the following into the Command Prompt window, exactly as shown, including double quotes:

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt"

and press ENTER.

A file will open in Notepad. Please copy and paste the contents here. Close the Notepad window and the file will be deleted and the Command Prompt window will also close.