Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3cmlink.exe error

• Please log in to reply

gbigarashi

gbigarashi

• Pip
  • 7 posts
When I am browsing I get the following error:

3cmlink.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will restart the program. An error log is being created.

Then I am not able to browse anymore. The dial up connects shows that I am still connected but I am not. I try to reconnect and the modem is not detected. I have to reboot in order to reconnect.

I have a 1gb intel processor with 256 mb ram on an ASUS cusl2 motherboard running windows 2000.

Can anyone help. Thanks!

Advertisements

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
ok i have done a little research on the subject and you are not the first person to have had this problem. alot of people have had this problem with win2k not likeing the standerd modem driver. try updateing your modem driver, thats what solved evryone else's problem.

Edited by bobthemailman, 14 June 2005 - 06:03 AM.

gbigarashi

gbigarashi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks, I couldn't find much on the internet.... I went to the 3com site but didn't find much specific to win2k. I also found that people had problems with win modems but again not too much specific to win2k. The computer is 4 years old and we did not have this problem until a friend played with it. Since then we reformated the hard drive and reloaded everything. Seems like we should be able to get the modem to work right again.

Thanks again!

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
:tazz: so your syaing you could not update the driver? ;)

gbigarashi

gbigarashi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I did. Even double checked to make sure I had the right one and the most up to date one.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so....I'm unclear where this stands at the moment....still broke or fixed?

What kind of modem?

gbigarashi

gbigarashi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am still having the problem.

My modem is a 3Com SN: 24AXGBSAC4GW PN: 3CP263595A-OEM US Robotics Model 0766

When looking this modem up at the 3Com site, I use the number 3595A

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, i see that is an oem modem....meaning not available to consumer....who made your pc?

gbigarashi

gbigarashi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Bought the modem from a computer store.

Had a friend/computer programmer/engineer build it for us. Very Anal. Used all the “top of the line” stuff for that time, paid a little over $2500 in parts alone. He initially set the computer up. For Three years the computer ran like a top. Didn’t even need to run clean up utilities, when I did they didn’t pick up much at all. We just updated programs when possible. Wish I knew how he set it up because I can not repeat what he did. I now have 5 computers, none that run as well as this one.

I am appreciating your help… Thanks!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, color me confused.

if the product number is right, that's an OEM modem for sure, normally not readily available...you can get them, though, assuming that is the model number.

Second, that's not really a top of the line modem. It's a winmodem, or softmodem, meaning that the PCs cpu has to do all the work of data communications. A top of the line modem has an onboard processor that handles that, leaving the cpu to do other things.

Don't get me wrong--nothing wrong with a winmodem, especially if you are doing light duty work or you have CPU cycles to burn.

That's not why I am confused, though. If you did have a top of the line, perhaps you installed the wrong driver?

3cmlink.exe is a winmodem driver file (well, support file)--if you installed the WRONG driver, then you could be having these problems.

That said, perhaps a windows update has simply made your current version problematic.

http://www.usr.com/s...p?prod=oem#3598

looking there,

scroll down until you find:

Windows install files for OEM product 3595A. Extract the install files onto an empty, formatted diskette and follow the installation instructions that were included with your modem. This file should NOT be used with any other product.
Win2K - 3595a-2k.zip file size: 885KB
you want the above

gbigarashi

gbigarashi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, your right about the modem. I'm not sure what everyone was saying about it at the time we bought it, but I don't like it now. I check the number on the card again. I have it out of the computer here in front of me. When we loaded win2k it could not find a driver for this modem which I thought was funny because this modem was pretty popular at the time I thought. Anyway, I down loaded the driver from the site that you directed me to and selected the right one. I have double checked that with the file I still have on my partition. So I am pretty sure that I have the right driver for the right card. I will try uninstalling it and redownloading the driver and see where that gets me. After that, if I still have the problem I'm going to put in a different card from one of my other computers. How's that sound? Thanks again for your help.

gbigarashi

gbigarashi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Downloaded the driver again at the same site you posted. Still having the problem though. Going to go ahead and buy a new one. Maybe one with an onboard processor. Think this will fix the problem and do you have any recommendations (with regards to $).

Thanks!!