Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bluescreen Problem

Best Answer phillpower2 , 18 July 2015 - 04:58 AM

The following information is provided courtesy of Tech Ztruker, take a look and see what you think; I would suggest you backup your data before doing anything else. That way if something goes... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

utcol2

utcol2

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi I was referred to this forum from this topic: http://www.geekstogo...screen-problem/

I have been experiencing multiple random bluescreens, and it doesn't appear to be a malware problem as my computer was cleaned in the other forum. Firefox is also sometimes slow, and my Windows Update isn't able to update.

Thanks for the help in advance :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello utcol2,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi here is the url: http://speccy.pirifo...TwPH6yusaABCZhV

Thanks for the help :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Thanks for the url  :thumbsup:

Two things of note are the absence of any updates for Vista and that AutoUpdate is not enabled, see below;

254.pngOperating System

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2

Computer type: Portable

Installation Date: 2007-06-29 18:39
Windows Security Center
Firewall: 
Enabled

Windows Update
AutoUpdate: 
Not configured

Before we address the above can you see if there are any crash dumps available for us;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.

2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

If there are no crash dumps available you need to make sure that they are enabled "how to" below;

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Startup and Recovery, click Settings (or Startup and Recovery). For best results, under write debugging information selectfull memory dump. Your system however must meet several conditions for this option to work. Alternatively you can select small memory dump to have your system write out crash dump files that are significantly smaller. 

You are welcome btw  :)

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

There were no crash dumps available, so I have now enabled them. Shall I just wait until another bluescreen occurs and then post the crash dump here?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

There were no crash dumps available, so I have now enabled them. Shall I just wait until another bluescreen occurs and then post the crash dump here?

Correct  :thumbsup:

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi just to let you know I haven't abandoned the topic. I just haven't experienced a bluescreen yet. They are really random, so I could get multiple in one day, or one after more than a week. Anyway, when one occurs I will post the crash dump here. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No problem and thanks for the update utcol12  :thumbsup:

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi again, I think I might have found a possible solution to this problem. A few days ago, a plugin started to cause Firefox to constantly keep crashing, and the crash report they provided stated that Trusteer Rapport installed on my computer has a known bug. This program has been installed on computer for a while now. Anyway, I disabled the plugin, Firefox and my computer are now running smoothly, and I haven't experienced a bluescreen. So I think this might have been a problem.

If you think this definitely can't have been causing the bluescreens, then of course I'll keep on looking out for one to occur and I'll post the crash dump here as asked. Thanks for your help so far :)

Edited by utcol2, 28 May 2015 - 10:32 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello utcol12,

Thanks for the update and for sharing what may be the possible solution to the issue  :thumbsup:

I have used Trusteer Rapport for many years without issue so this would be a first for me, I do however use Chrome as opposed to FF though.

Fingers crossed that you have found the cause and if we don't hear back from you we will mark your reply #9 as the best answer.

Advertisements

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I had Trusteer Rapport installed for years as well, but for reasons unknown it only recently started causing my FF to crash.

I have noticed that my Windows Update still doesn't work though. Maybe a separate issue to the bluescreens?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hi utcol2,

See if the Windows all in one (AIO) repair tool helps with the update issue, if we can help you to resolve that after creating a new restore point you could then try reinstalling Trusteer if you like, please see my canned text below;

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the All in One Repair from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi thanks for the reply. :) I ran the All in One Repair tool, and all steps completed except for the System File Check, which stopped at 83% because of a missing resource. Also Windows Update still doesn't work. Thanks for the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Any more BSOD, if yes, do you have a Vista or system restore disk specific to the computer concerned.

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
No more BSOD so far. Only the Windows Update problem it seems.