Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bluescreen Problem

Best Answer phillpower2 , 18 July 2015 - 04:58 AM

The following information is provided courtesy of Tech Ztruker, take a look and see what you think; I would suggest you backup your data before doing anything else. That way if something goes... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:thumbsup:

Advertisements

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I finally finished installing the updates. However, all the security updates and most of the updates that used the Windows Update Standalone Installer (usually .msu files) couldn't install.

The message from the standalone installer was that the update didn't apply to my system, although Belarc suggests that the update needs to be installed. Also, from the update description, it seems the security updates are critical to Vista but for some reason can't be installed on this computer

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Most odd, see if the following helps any Fix Microsoft Windows Update Issues

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi I tried updating my Windows Update to the latest version, but that failed. When I checked the CBS log, I found the error had something to do with the update KB2656362.

I also ran the System Update Readiness Tool, and when that failed to fix the problem, I checked the CheckSUR log, which pointed to a CBS registry error with the same update package.

I tried to install the update again using the method in the MS article (copying the .msu file to the \CheckSUR\packages directory), but the same error came up in the logs after running the System Update Readiness Tool again.

I have attached the logs for you to have a look.

Thanks for the help :)

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Have you checked in your list of installed updates to see if KB2656362 has already been installed, if it has uninstall and then try updating again.

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Yes I did think of doing this, but the list says no updates are installed on this computer (although some have been installed)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I`m starting to suspect that the updates are being or have been downloaded and saved to another location and not the C: drive/partition, was the computer shipped with Vista as the OS or has the OS ever been reinstalled or upgraded.

Can you do the following and post an expanded screenshot of the results for us please;

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.

2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.

After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.

Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I have attached the screenshot :)

This computer was shipped with Vista as the OS, and I think upgraded to SP2. The installation CD only has Vista without any SP

Just a note, I remember the list of updates did used to list the installed updates. It's only recently I noticed the list is empty

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Can you expand Disk Manager to full screen and then take and attach a new screenshot for us, the above may not be showing us everything that is on the C: drive/partition.

Courtesy of Microsoft;

Hidden updates are updates you've asked Windows not to notify you about or install automatically. To enhance the security and performance of your computer, restore all important and recommended updates.

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47., clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click Restore hidden updates.

3. Select the updates that you want to install, and then click Restore. To see if you've selected all important and recommended updates, check the information in the Type column, next to each update name. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_41. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4. Windows will check for updates, and then prompt you to install the updates that you have restored and any new updates that might be available.

Note
  • Some updates that you try to restore might not appear in the list of updates that Windows offers you. This happens only when Windows finds a more recent update that addresses the same problem as the update you tried to restore.

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I attached the new screenshot.

It says I have not hidden any updates on my computer

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not sure how much time and work you wish to put into this but I suspect that the only fix for you will be a repair installation, this will involve creating a Vista ISO that contains both SP1 and SP2, let me know if you wish to follow that line and I will post the information required.

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I think it depends on how much work that would involve. If it is too difficult, then I will probably just upgrade my computer

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
✓  Best Answer

The following information is provided courtesy of Tech Ztruker, take a look and see what you think;

I would suggest you backup your data before doing anything else. That way if something goes wrong when you are trying to repair the OS, you won't lose the data:

See here: Emergency Kit - save your files from a dead OS - Windows 7 Help Forums

Do you have a Vista install DVD you can use to attempt repairs after you backup your data? If not, post here and ask Peter (Ex_Brit) to send you the link to the versions of Vista you need, 32 or 64 bit. Include your E-mail address mucked up, like   abc at  xyz DOT com  then edit your post and remove it as soon as you receive the link.

The ISO Peter provides has both SP1 and SP2 applied.

Pick up the Tutorial: How to Download a Vista ISO and Create an Installation DVD or USB here:

STEP THREE
To Create Vista Installation DVD or USB Flash Drive with ISO File

During the install, when asked for the key, don't enter it. You will then be given a menu where you can chose the version you want to install.

Activate once the install is completed.

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Thanks for the links. I had a look, and I think because there is so much involved, I will just upgrade my computer. Thanks for all the help :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No problem  :thumbsup:

Be sure to post in the System Building and Upgrading forum here where you will receive the best of guidance  ;)