Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

4 Hard Drives?

• Please log in to reply

jbarth200

jbarth200

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi,

I have recently went to defrag my C: drive and noticed that I have 2 other drives that I am not aware of and they do not show up when I go into my computer. The drives are called "WINRE" and "\\?\VOLUME(206102"  My D: drive is almost completely full but when I go into the folder all I have is a recovery file that is 556 MB when my drive is almost 22 GB full. I am curious if it is those drives that are creating an issue.

Thanks

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi jbarth200 :)

I know what the WINRE drive is, but for the other, I would need a screenshot of your Disk Management utility please.

mYEYEX7.pngDisk Management Utility
Follow the instructions below to open the Disk Management Utility:
  • For Windows 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, right-click on Computer and select Manage (requires Admin Rights). From there, click on Disk Management in the left pane;
  • For Windows 8, bring the cursor in the bottom left-corner of the screen and wait for the metro preview to open, then right-click on it and select Disk Management;
  • For Windows 8,1 bring the cursor on the Windows logo, right-click on it and select Disk Management;
  • Open the window to its full size, then take a screenshot of it and attach it to your next reply;
mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Attaching the screenshot in your reply
    • Go in your thread and click on the Reply to this topic button in the top-right corner;
      85hPFGu.png
    • Below the text box you'll have the option to Attach files. Click on the Choose Files... button, navigate to your screenshot and select it;
      LKVBzF7.png
    • Once done, add a comment to your reply and post it;

jbarth200

jbarth200

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Here you go

Attached Thumbnails

• Disk Drives.jpg

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Where do you see these WINRE and \\?\VOLUME(206102 listed? In your Windows Explorer, under "This PC"?

jbarth200

jbarth200

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

When I went to defrag my drives, here is a pic.

Attached Thumbnails

• Disk Drives 2.jpg

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
The WINRE partition is the Windows Recovery Environment partition. It's the partition that allows you to boot in the Windows RE when you need to troubleshoot boot issues with your system. It's a really important partition and I would leave it be. For the other one, I cannot say. Maybe if you enlarge the drive column and give me the full partition name I could find out.

jbarth200

jbarth200

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks for the help and here you go, the reason I ask is because my laptop has been running slow lately and when I check my disk usage on the task manager it is usually around 75% and that's without anything even running.

Attached Thumbnails

• Disk Drives 3.jpg

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
My guess is on another Recovery partition. The EFI one, which is also important and should be left alone. What programs (or processes) are taking the most disk usage, do you know?

jbarth200

jbarth200

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

System at about 3.5 MB the others are like 0.1 MB

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Well right now, there's a defragging operation running on your C: drive, so that could be it. Unless you were the one that started it manually.

loca

loca

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My gateway keeps saying no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed please help

Edited by loca, 11 June 2015 - 05:11 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi loca :)

I'll ask you to start your own thread for your issue to not hijack other user's threads :) This way, you'll get assistance just for your issue.

AtsushiWhelan

AtsushiWhelan

• Pip
  • 3 posts

they are created by system and deletion of them cause problem to Windows booting. these partitions are hiden and can't be seen in My Computer.

they won't cause problem as long as you do not do any operation to them