Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

c drive

• Please log in to reply

jw010x8941

jw010x8941

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I have so many files in my c drive and i don't know whats supposed to be there and whats just junk files is it neccessary to clean it and if so how do i do it? i am a pc novice so i'd love to know how to keep my pc as clean as possible Thank You

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Hi there,

I recommend you download CleanUp!:
http://www.spywareai...owsoftware&id=1

It will empty your temporary files, temp internet files, and will clear up a LOT of space on your hard drive. Make sure to back anything important up and make sure you're not keeping anything important in temporary directories when running cleaning programs.

Then defragment your drive: Go to Start -> (All Programs) -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmenter.

Then, of course, you can uninstall programs you don't use in Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel.

Then you can pretty much delete any of your data... any music files, documents, etc. Just make sure you stay out of the Windows area (C:\Windows, etc) :tazz:

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
I'd also like to add:

TuneUp Utilities 2004

Very easy-to-use application which cleans up various sectors of your system including registry.

I personally recomend it!

And of course you need to update your anti-spyware software like Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware SE.

Don't ever think that a scan will keep the pc running clean for a week even! I recommend to scan your system if not every day at least once every 2 - 3 days.

Good LucK!

:tazz:

- Maverick