Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Gateway Laptop

• Please log in to reply

NewL

NewL

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just recently bought a laptop through gateway. After getting it home and messing around with it i noticed that i had two drives listed under my computer. I had my main C: drive and then an extra one labled D:.. of course i don't really have two drives its just an extra partition or somethin... anyway when i try to do anything with these extra 5gigs of space that are all located on drive D:.. it tell me that it is protected by PC Angel and not to alter these files and a bunch of mumbo jumbo... I don't really need this PC
Angel crap in order to restore my system.. i'de rather just get rid of this extra partiton and be able to use my other 5 gigs instead of have this fake D: drive over here that does nothing for me.. If anyone knows how i can reformat this section and make it all back into my one C: drive please let me know, I would really appreciate it.. thanks in advance

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Have you checked the documentation that Gateway gave you with the computer? It could be that this is for the restore feature. It could also be that it contains files the computer needs to make your system recovery cd work. Since this is a new pc, it would make sense to ask Gateway what that is before you delete it.

NewL

NewL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well i did end up calling gateway and talking to one of the people there but well the woman that answered the phone didn't know what she was talking about... basically what she was saying or from what i could understand was that it was of course for recovory of the laptop and well it wasn't recommended that you get rid of it i guess.. but on the gateway laptop that i got i was able to back that drive up on cds so i don't see why i would need that extra partition anymore... what i was wanting to do was reformat the D: drive (5GBs) but i don't know if it would go back to the C: drive or not . b/c i don't have two hard drives like i said earlier but i don't want to just reformat that partition but make it all back into one.. hope that wasn't too confusing

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You should be able to delete the partition. I woould make sure I had all my data backed up before messing with the hard drive partitions. As long as you have a windows install cd and you are not concerned about the possiblitity that if you should need to restore the programs that came with your computer (a recovery cd I presume), do it. I have read in the forum here where Emachines in particular have some image file on the hd and if deleted, you can't run the recovery cd. You may want to question Gateway and ask them to be more specific about the implications of your removing that partition.

Maybe someone has some peronal experience with a simalar Gateway laptop and will respond.

NewL

NewL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok i will check with a gateway represenative and see what they say about the partitoned D: drive again... i think you might be right with the whole using the cds... i think you might have to have that partition there on the D: drive to reformat it... but i'm not concerned with the programs that came on the system to begin with... i'de rahter just have nothing at all and just put on what i want... but thanx for all the help i appreciate it