Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Has my PC died?

• Please log in to reply

p71p

p71p

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Yesterday my PC stopped working, the screen turned grey then I got a blue screen. The only options I get are f11 enter BBS pop up or del to run setup. If I don't press anything the PC sits on the page until i get a flashing cursor then a disk read error occurred. I take it my HD has had it and is there anything I can do?

Advertisements

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
PC is -
Currently running on vista home premium service pack 2, spec of pc as follows
Zoostorm ECS G31
Intel core 2 quad CPU Q9300 @2.50ghz,
4 GB ram

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Just to add I have tried to get in to safe mode but it shows loading files and that's as far as it gets.
I also have a vista disc which I have tried, again it won't load up.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Did you go into BIOS Setup and set the optical drive as the first boot device? You'll need to do that to boot the Vista disc.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday p71p

if files still fail to load, please try the following, boot again from the Vista installation disc and as it starts to load, hold down shift+F10, if a command window opens, run a disk check.

If you cannot get to a cmd, Download the manufacturers disc toolfor your brand HDD, (Bootable one) > http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

You could also try Testdisk from the F4UBCD.   Info,  > https://falconfour.w...sb-v4-6-f4ubcd/

I prefer his link for downloading, > http://falcon4.pcclo...oot CD v4.61.7z

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hi, yes I set the optical drive to boot first. I managed to get on to fresh install via a vista recovery disc I have. I get passed the input of the product key then it won't go any further. I then went to the tool startup repair, it states it cannot repair the PC and scrolling down the problems, it shows no hard drive.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
7 Free Hard Drive Testing Programs
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I have tried to run tests but failed, I also have a CD trouble shooter that has tools to check everything on the PC, everything comes back as no hard drive.

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Just to add, I ran testdisk, a date recovery utility, one of many utilities I have on disk and the hard drive is not showing so I can go no further.

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Would it be possible for some advice on hard drives please? I have in my system a western digital hard drive, model WD5000AAKS-00A780. When looking for another hard drive is there anything specific I need to know to get the right one? I know this is sata 500gb, I am looking to buy a 1TB. I still need to sort my other drive but I need to get my PC up and running.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Make sure you get a 7200RPM drive. The difference in performance over the 5400RPM drive is significant.

There is a Western Digital Blue for $49.99 new here: Amazon.com

If you have Amazon Prime then it's free 2 day shipping.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

If you have not done so, a  couple of suggestions.

Have you tried swappping over the SATA cable/connecting to another port on the MB? then,

Look in the BIOS to see if it is detected. 

At step 7 of this Tutorial, did you accept the terms?

http://www.wikihow.c...l-Windows-Vista

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hi yes I accepted the terms I get as far as where to install it then it doesn't detect the HD.

When I switch the PC, the first screen where it detects HD etc, that screen hangs for ages, seems to struggle detecting drives. It shows my HD on that screen now and again but not always and sometimes drives are listed in different orders

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

yes I accepted the terms I get as far as where to install it then it doesn't detect the HD

OK, just wanted to check a step was not missed.   Not seen at that point and Drive sometimes seen, does indicate a faulty Drive. 

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Well I ordered a western digital blue, 1tb, new for £40 delivered.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when I have installed windows on my new HD, can I connect my other and see if it shows up in my computer? Its just that if I can access it I can maybe pull of the documents and pics I want.