Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Has my PC died?

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

You stated you have a graphics card. Try removing the card and using the on board video. Of course your graphics card wont be used till you install the driver but the card could be pulling the system down.

Also, have you tried reseating the memory and testing it.

And a 32bit OS will only detect about 3.5gb of a 4gb memory.

Advertisements

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hi, thanks for the info.

Yes I have tested the memory and reseated it, no issues.

I am an hour into the install and on expanding files at 68%. Quicker than the last but still pretty slow compared to other installs I have done.

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Two hours in and still not complete. Something is slowing it down right through the installation process. Once its complete I'll remove the graphics card and see what happens. Apart from an external CD/DVD drive and my USB for the mouse and keyboard I have nothing else connected.

Once this is installed, if it runs slow still I'm tempted to remove everything connected, CD drive, graphics card and see what happens.

Everything disconnected and trying to do an install. Expanding files dragging terribly and been on 27% for ages. I'm at a loss guys, nothing connected so motherboard issue?

Edited by p71p, 24 May 2015 - 09:34 AM.

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Just a thought. When I went to do another install I was on the page showing my HD, now I thought I would see two sections of the HD as it would have been partitioned. There was only one there so I deleted as it was labeled partition. It then showed just short of 1tb free. I didn't partition as windows automatically partitions the drive so I believe. Does that sound right?

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Well I thought I had solved this. I removed a 2gb stick of Ram from the PC and it took 35 minutes from popping in the disc right up to completing installation. This is where it now hangs and not looking like the little green bar is going anywhere. I'm going to leave it and walk away and see if it finalises the install.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Reply #29 " think the best solutions is a clean install again, with some setting adjusted."

Clear the CMOS? I clicked set to default if that's right? 

Sometimes this is not enough to reset the BIOS, you need to use the CMOS jumper method.  

seen some vista installs being slow due to "searching for destination"  "Floppy or drive listed in BIOS but not physically  present"

Please try some modification to the install.

PSU off, > use the CMOS jumper, >  move over for 20 seconds, > move back > power on > enter the BIOS,> check time/date > load default setting, > save and exit.

Restart and enter BIOS, again, > Go Advance Screen, Boot Drive order.  > 1st = DVD, 2nd = HDD (any other listed, = Disable, > Boot other  Device (no), > save setting and exit. 

Remove external non essential devices, including Head Phones.

During install, =

Leave the product key field blank and uncheck the item titled "Automatically activate Windows when I'm online." Then, click Next to continue.

Vista Setup wonders if you're sure about this decision and asks if you'd like to correct your wicked ways and go back and enter the product key. Click No to continue.

Setup now prompts you to select the Vista versionto install, select the one on your disc.

Click the "Custom (advanced)" option to continue.

Click Drive options (advanced),

Delete all partitions until the drive shows as unallocated space, Do not partition or format the drive, Vista will do it automatically, > click next.

At the "help protect windows automatically" untick Use Recommended settings. > click next and complete the installation.  Install MB/GPU drivers. 

Install Anti virus and your chosen browser. 

Check device manager. 

Test the installation before adding any further programs. 

> Enter the BIOS and enable Boot devices,  

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Well it looks like the last install did the job. PC is doing the masses of updates so I'm going to leave it to do that before I install my graphics card and software oh and put the 2gb back in its slot.

Looking promising so far and thanks to everyone for all the help I have had on this. Once up and running I can hopefully pull some of the info I need from my old HD.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Good to hear it is going OK.  

Suggest the following to prevent Boot issues.   Only connect the power cable to the broken drive, boot to the desktop, > open disc management, . identify your existing C drive. >  connect the SATA cable to the broken drive to see if it is detected., this safe as the drive is plug and play. 

You are welcome.

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Assuming my HD is detected. What is the best way to move items to my new HD. Documents are fairly easy but what about all my photos and my music collection? Can other programme I had be moved to new HD rather than looking for these again?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You should be able to copy across with Windows Explorer. in the left pane,  expand the new C drive, expand your user folder,

In the left pane, expand the old C drive, expand your user folder. you should see My Docs, my music, etc. displayed from the old HDD.

Drag the My Docs Folder from the right pane, to the new HDD my Docs folder, right click and select Copy Here.

Do the same for all the other folders.

You can export any settings/address directly from the application on the old drive.

You may also want to copy Public and Shared Folders.

Do not copy any Program files, they won't work, you will need to reinstall any you want.

Do not copy profile/user Data.

Advertisements

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thank you, I'll get on with that once this is sorted.

I'm still getting lag again. I had a pop up window earlier stating failed to connect to a windows service but its not been back since. Seems to freeze for a while no matter if I'm opening anything from desktop or even on the net. I can't seem to download anything as it freezes up mid download.

I get a lot of internet explorer cannot open the internet site messages, operation aborted.

Just to add I only have sp1 installed so far. Checking for updates doesn't come up with anything and trying to navigate with is is no good as it aborts most pages.

Edited by p71p, 25 May 2015 - 04:00 AM.

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thanks for everyone's help but I am finally giving up. Thought I'd do another install but now I can't get the disc to load up. I get a missing or corrupt file during expanding files. I think I'll try to pick up another tower, hopefully I can't still put the new power supply and graphics card to use should they be needed. I have had the PC over 8 years so its done me well. Time to upgrade I think, nothing expensive as its only general use but I'll have a look around, still tempted to get another zoostorm as it has been good.

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
This doesn't look bad for the price
http://www.argos.co....ber/3462841.htm

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

My only suggestion would be to go with 8GB of ram (or 16GB even) and 8.1 64 bit and a Intel i5 or equivalent. Site says they are out  of stock though :(

Might want to consider adding a 250GB SSD at some point for your boot and program drive. The speed increase is fantastic.

If you buy new, spend a bit more (199 pounds is $307 so I'd shoot for the $500 range) and you will be much happier in the long run.

Isn't it great how I want to spend your money!!!!!

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Ha ha, yes spend away. I know what you mean, they do have quite a few variations of this PC going up to around £1300, bit pricey for me. I never wanted to look for another PC as there are too many options now, it gets too much and you end up with around a dozen you can't decide on.