Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my display broken?

• Please log in to reply

advok

advok

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

I'm having some issues with my second display.

The problem I have is that every now and then it turns off half.

With turns off half I mean that the screen goes black but the green light keeps burning green and is also still visible in the device manager. (normally the light is orange when not connected and off when its off)

If I proceed to turn the display off and then on again nothing happens but if I pull the plug it will work after reinserting it.

If I directly reinsert the plug the screen will only be on for less then a min but if I leave it unplugged for longer it generally stays on longer afterwards as well.

The problem occurs nearly every day, sometimes after just 5 min of turning it on sometimes after a few hour and sometimes it works without any issues.

I have already tried to replace the power cable but this had no results. I can not replace the VGA cable since this is one of those build in ones. 

I have been having these problems for a few months now but the issue is occurring  more often now and gets to a point where i can barely use the screen. 

The screen i have is a Compaq FP7317

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be and if there is a solution or if the screen is just nearing the end of his life? 

ps. Its a bit difficult to describe what the problem is, i hope i made myself clear, if not please don't hesitate to ask for more info!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

my guess is that it's a problem with the VGA cable, the VGA connector on the end of the cable, OR the VGA adapter in the computer. only real way to test is with another monitor.