Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Changing my firewall

• Please log in to reply

RezTor

RezTor

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

I have over the past week has been under serious concern for all my private information I have stored on my computer and my computer. My computer has been the victim of an intrusion by a "friend" that went behind my back then threaten me to release all the personal information and all the other things I have on my computer. This person has threatened me that he has placed a keylogger and a RAT-file apparently. When I have read about this kind of files then I understand what a damage they can make to a computer. I have now received help with my problem and a kind person took their time to help me and gave me many advices how I would be more secure against attacks like these.

I don't know if I'm paranoid, but it feels like someone is on my computer and I can't really let go of the incident that happened to me and now I'm trying to find ways to make my PC more secure and I have been searching through threads on this forum and I got a lot of good advices but it's one thing that I can't understand how to do, replace my old firewall with a new one and I have searched everywhere but I can't find an answer for my question and I got referred to this section to ask my question to you guys and hopefully you can help me out.

I've found a free firewall that serveral people recommended other people to use this free version but I can't figure out how to replace this firewall with my old one. I have Windows 8.1 on my PC and I don't really know which firewall I have right now but I have never changed it so I guess it's the original one that you get with Windows?

Is there a kind soul out there who can help me with my problem?

EDIT: Here is a link to the firewall they recommended. http://www.agnitum.c...-suite-free.php

Edited by Phifen, 14 May 2015 - 07:54 PM.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,479 posts
Hi Phifen :)

If you never installed a single firewall on your system, you're most likely running the Windows Firewall by default, but it would be a good thing to confirm it. Follow the instructions below please.

P32ZMcU.pngSecurityCheck
  • Download SecurityCheck and move the executable to your Desktop;
  • Execute SecurityCheck, press on a key and let the scan run;
    KQuxDxN.png
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

RezTor

RezTor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

If you never installed a single firewall on your system, you're most likely running the Windows Firewall by default, but it would be a good thing to confirm it. Follow the instructions below please.

P32ZMcU.pngSecurityCheck

KQuxDxN.png
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

I did what you told me and when the scan was completed it opened up Notepad and changed the settings for CS:GO. I will try to scan it again and see if it will do the same thing. Thank you for your reply! 

RezTor

RezTor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

P32ZMcU.pngSecurityCheck

KQuxDxN.png

Something must have gone seriously wrong when it changed the settings in CS:GO the first time I did the scan, the second time it worked perfectly.

Logs:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 1.001  
   x64 (UAC is enabled)  
 Internet Explorer 11  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:`````````````` 
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
Windows Defender   
 WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update. 
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:````````` 
 Secunia PSI (3.0.0.7011)   
 Java 8 Update 45  
 Google Chrome (42.0.2311.135) 
 Google Chrome (42.0.2311.152) 
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
 Windows Defender MSMpEng.exe 
 Windows Defender MpCmdRun.exe   
`````````````````System Health check````````````````` 
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C:  % 
````````````````````End of Log`````````````````````` 

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,479 posts
SecurityCheck shouldn't interact with CS:GO at all. Right now, it seems that you are only using Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall, so no Antivirus, Firewall or Antimalware whatsoever. Do you want to keep Windows Defender as your Antivirus, or would you like to get one? If you want to get one, I could combine Antivirus and Firewall together to offer you Internet Security Suites, but these are often paid and not free.

RezTor

RezTor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

SecurityCheck shouldn't interact with CS:GO at all. Right now, it seems that you are only using Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall, so no Antivirus, Firewall or Antimalware whatsoever. Do you want to keep Windows Defender as your Antivirus, or would you like to get one? If you want to get one, I could combine Antivirus and Firewall together to offer you Internet Security Suites, but these are often paid and not free.

I have Malwarebytes and CryptoPrevent installed on my PC. If you have any special antivirus software that you can recommend to me as I happily follow your advice and install it. I have been thinking to spend money once every year on a virus protection to keep me secured to the maximum but I do not really know if I want to spend money on it because I do not have the best income and I have no money to add for something expensive.

Edited by Phifen, 14 May 2015 - 08:36 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,479 posts
Malwarebytes is one of the best Antimalware there is, so on that side, you're set. CryptoPrevent is also a good free program to protect you against Cryptoware. And if you don't want to spend money, I can also propose free alternatives. However, I'll just ask you a Speccy snapshot first to see your specs and make recommendations based on them, since I don't want to recommend programs that will just end up eating all your resources.

ik5xYHs.pngSpeccy - Publish a snapshot
Follow the instructions below to download and install Speccy, then to publish a snapshot of your system information:
  • Download and install Speccy from Piriform (the download will start automatically a few seconds after clicking on the Speccy link);
    Note: You can opt-out the Google Toolbar installation if you want;
  • Once Speccy is installed, launch the program and give it a good minute to load all your system information;
  • After that, click on the File menu in the top left corner, and select Publish Snapshot;
  • A window will appear asking you to confirm your decision to publish a snapshot. Click on Yes;
  • A new window will appear after, with a URL link to your snapshot. Click on Copy to Clipboard button to copy that URL to your clipboard, then paste it in your next reply and post it;

RezTor

RezTor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Malwarebytes is one of the best Antimalware there is, so on that side, you're set. CryptoPrevent is also a good free program to protect you against Cryptoware. And if you don't want to spend money, I can also propose free alternatives. However, I'll just ask you a Speccy snapshot first to see your specs and make recommendations based on them, since I don't want to recommend programs that will just end up eating all your resources.

ik5xYHs.pngSpeccy - Publish a snapshot
Follow the instructions below to download and install Speccy, then to publish a snapshot of your system information:

• Download and install Speccy from Piriform (the download will start automatically a few seconds after clicking on the Speccy link);
    Note: You can opt-out the Google Toolbar installation if you want;
  • Once Speccy is installed, launch the program and give it a good minute to load all your system information;
  • After that, click on the File menu in the top left corner, and select Publish Snapshot;
  • A window will appear asking you to confirm your decision to publish a snapshot. Click on Yes;
  • A new window will appear after, with a URL link to your snapshot. Click on Copy to Clipboard button to copy that URL to your clipboard, then paste it in your next reply and post it;

Here is the link; http://speccy.pirifo...7tU12HCPl5hmjod

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,479 posts
That computer can handle pretty much every setup there is, so it's good. If you want free products, I suggest the following Antivirus:
  • avast! Free;
  • Avira Free;
  • Bitdefender Free;
These are all good free Antivirus that have good rankings in the Antivirus benchmarks tests, and good reviews from the users. If you want to add a Firewall to it, the best free one, that won't take a lot of space and resources would be ... the Windows Firewall. Yes, the Windows Firewall is one of the best free Firewall there is, and there's many programs which exists that gives you more control over it.quietman, a Microsoft MVP on BleepingComputer, wrote an article explaining how to choose a Firewall, and also list more programs that are used to enhance the Windows Firewall abilities.

Choosing a Firewall

Other than that, COMODO also have a really good free Firewall, however it relies mainly on its HIPS feature. If you allow everything to go throught, it's pointless to use that firewall since it won't make a difference at all.

As for paid solutions, Internet Security Suites, my personal favorites ones are:
  • Kaspersky Internet Security;
  • Emsisoft Internet Security;
  • ESET Smart Security;
Kaspersky, Emsisoft and ESET are in my opinion the best three Antivirus companies at the moment with the best products. I've been a Kaspersky customer for years (KIS) and it never let me down. You are also free to pick one of their standard Antivirus solution: Kaspersky Antivirus, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, ESET Nod32 Antivirus and use the Windows Firewall or another Firewall along with it.

RezTor

RezTor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

That computer can handle pretty much every setup there is, so it's good. If you want free products, I suggest the following Antivirus:

• avast! Free;
  • Avira Free;
  • Bitdefender Free;
These are all good free Antivirus that have good rankings in the Antivirus benchmarks tests, and good reviews from the users. If you want to add a Firewall to it, the best free one, that won't take a lot of space and resources would be ... the Windows Firewall. Yes, the Windows Firewall is one of the best free Firewall there is, and there's many programs which exists that gives you more control over it. quietman, a Microsoft MVP on BleepingComputer, wrote an article explaining how to choose a Firewall, and also list more programs that are used to enhance the Windows Firewall abilities.

Choosing a Firewall

Other than that, COMODO also have a really good free Firewall, however it relies mainly on its HIPS feature. If you allow everything to go throught, it's pointless to use that firewall since it won't make a difference at all.

As for paid solutions, Internet Security Suites, my personal favorites ones are:
  • Kaspersky Internet Security;
  • Emsisoft Internet Security;
  • ESET Smart Security;
Kaspersky, Emsisoft and ESET are in my opinion the best three Antivirus companies at the moment with the best products. I've been a Kaspersky customer for years (KIS) and it never let me down. You are also free to pick one of their standard Antivirus solution: Kaspersky Antivirus, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, ESET Nod32 Antivirus and use the Windows Firewall or another Firewall along with it.

This answered my question, thank you for your reply and support! 

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,479 posts
No problem Phifen, my pleasure :)

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,479 posts
No problem zoky :)