Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word 2010 Starter freezes with a pop-up

word 2010 starter freeze pop-up message major

• Please log in to reply

scarletb79

scarletb79

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hi everyone!

I have an Asus VX6, with Windows 7 and Office 2010 Starter preinstalled. The problem is very recent and I do not know if that generated after installing one of the system updates as I can't imagine any other cause. Word 2010 Starter has a major freeze after I open the program, just as I write something and then click on "return". That's where I get the problem. At this point a message would appear saying that an installation of additional modules be in progress (I don't know what this message would be in English). After this major freeze, requiring sometimes the ctrl+alt+canc command, the program would run relatively smoothly.

Thank You for your help.

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello scarletb79,

Have you already tried repairing the installation?

Start > Control Panel > Programs (and features) > double clicking the Word 2010 in the list should present you with 3 options: Repair, Modify, and Remove.  Click Repair.

If the problem persists, I would like to ask if the program becomes usable in Safe Mode?

Keep us updated!  :prop:

scarletb79

scarletb79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hi Fusionbomb and thank you for your help.

Sorry for my delay answering you, I tried your first suggestion straightaway though. I'm afraid the repair method hasn't worked for my computer. I still have to try on safe mode.

scarletb79

scarletb79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

It didn't either work in Safe Mode. After I clicked on the icon, the arrow was replaced by that loading icon, followed by nothing happening. 

Waiting for instructions!

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

scarletb79,

I'm sorry you're still experiencing issues.  You mentioned you thought it may have been a Windows Update that caused this?  The steps below will walk you through removing a particular update(s).

• Open Installed Updates by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then, under Programs and Features, clicking View installed updates.
  • Select the update that you want to remove, and then click Uninstall.

If removing the Windows Update(s) doesn't help the issue, perhaps a System Restore might? 

I'm honestly out of ideas if neither of those resolve the problem.  :smashcomp: