Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Possible New PC BUILD

Building Parts Computer Beast Monster Rig Help

Best Answer phillpower2 , 16 May 2015 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for the additional information   Photoshop system requirements here An alternative list of parts built around your choice of MB and case here it will do everything t... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

KingJamieGrant

KingJamieGrant

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hello, Jamie Grant Here.  :wave:

I was wondering if anyone could possibly judge this set-up I've been messing around with? :smashcomp:

I've put the parts on http://uk.pcpartpick...ed/#view=y4qgXL

If anyone has any things they want me to change or anything that is not needed please,

please tell me. :spoton:  :geek:

-Edit.Tell me if you want me to add anything to make this rig much better! Providing the link with the item too.

Edited by KingJamieGrant, 16 May 2015 - 09:42 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:    KingJamieGrant,

Can you tell us what the main use of the computer will be, if only for gaming for example an i7 CPU and anything more than 8GB of Ram are a waste of cash.

I would suggest an SSD for the OS and the most often used software and swap the 3TB HDD for two Xs 1TB HDDs, one for data only and the other for backing up to.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, if you use anything other than the stock heatsink and cooling fan that ship with a retail CPU you risk voiding the Intel 3 year warranty, only use this if you intend overclocking but consider purchasing the Intel Performance Tuning Protection Plan

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

KingJamieGrant

KingJamieGrant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I plan on using it (In order of what I'll  use the most)

A lot (10)          Gaming

(7-9)         Photoshop/Editing/Programming (Learning how to do)

(4-6)        School Work, (Word/Power-point etc)

(1-3)            Others, (Videos on-line, twitch, general browsing etc)

Least (0)

I don't know if that helps but generally gaming and Photoshop/Editing Software/Programming (Coding)

I just want to make sure it can handle games on max settings at a constant good fps (e.g 60 fps)
Also be fast enough that loading through browsers/opening files is quick and smooth.

As you probably can tell  I'm relatively new to this so I'll gladly take any suggestions and opnions!

I'll make sure I'll change what you suggested also

Edit- I probably wont overclock, I just wanted to make sure my system ran cool and wasen't overheating. 

Edited by KingJamieGrant, 16 May 2015 - 10:50 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thanks for the additional information  :thumbsup:

Photoshop system requirements here

An alternative list of parts built around your choice of MB and case here it will do everything that you need from it and should you ever need to it will allow you to add another 2 Xs 4GB sticks of Ram should software in future years require it.

Good call on not OCing, the stock cooler has been tested over and above the normal operating temps + you are improving the case cooling which will also help get rid of the hot air from inside the case.

KingJamieGrant

KingJamieGrant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Thanks Phill, Your help has been tremendous and I'll be looking forward to when I'm gaming (and working of-course ;P)!
Hopefully with what you've sent, it shouldn't be a problem running games on ultra/high settings with constant fps.

To conclude, thank you for your service.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are most welcome Jamie  :)

Any further questions along the way please let us know, what I always suggest with new builds - once all parts have been ordered, download whatever user manuals you can to familiarise yourself with their installation, check out the build tutorial provided courtesy of Troy and Artellos respectively, see here and finally, before assembling anything inside the case do a barebones set up outside of the case with the MB laid on a piece of cardboard that is larger than the MB itself, the MBs box lid will do, see my troubleshooting steps below for how to do a barebones set up;

Remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.

IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.

Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try removing the CMOS battery for a few moments and then replace it, this will clear any possible bad MB settings.

If after checking all the above the issue is not resolved I would suspect a bad MB, especially after trying a replacement CPU and Ram.

Finally a review of the video card that I suggested here the GTX 980 is a good card but not a £200+ more expensive great card and that is why I suggest the GTX 970.

KingJamieGrant

KingJamieGrant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Wow, incredible! Thanks for all the tips and guides that you've provided here.
When I start assembling this (Near the summer or during) I'll make sure to follow these steps!

Thanks for the build setup As long as it can do what required, (game & work) I'm happy.

Also with this setup do you think it would run "Black Desert" and "Tera" on Ultra setting (max) by any chance?

Once again, Thank you Phill.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No probs  :)

The Game Debate forum has a new feature that will tell you what performance to expect from your hardware, if you want to change the screen resolution you will need to create an account there, ignore the amount of Ram being a bottleneck though as you will have more than either game needs.

Black Desert check here

Tera check here

KingJamieGrant

KingJamieGrant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Aha, I love this forum already! Thank you so much :!

Very quick and responsive. Thanks for the cool websites that I can check stuff on and etc.

Also yeah I'll ignore the ram part.

Furthermore, Thanks Phill ;)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome Jamie and pleased to hear that you like the forum  :)  :thumbsup:

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Some additional resources.

on this page, a video of CPU install, > http://www.intel.com...b/CS-034492.htm

Good site for gaming benchmarks, > http://www.gamersnex...y-gpu-benchmark

"Photoshop/Editing/Programming" will use as much RAM that's installed, consider starting with 2x8GB =16GB. 

As a future upgrade.   Photoshop uses a temp file, (scratch file/disc) regardless of how much RAM is installed.   Whenever possible, this should not be on the OS drive as it degrades performance.   Best practice is a fast (SSD) separate drive.

If not supplied with MB or case, a mini internal system speaker is a most useful component for any build,  > e.g. http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

KingJamieGrant

KingJamieGrant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Ah, thanks even more for the tips, Iammykyl ! 
I will most likely get the mb speaker just in case I don't have it,
as it's cheap.

When building it I'll make sure I'll follow that guide you've provided.
Also, I'll make sure Photoshop is installed on a different hard-drive to stop
those problems from occurring.
Furthermore thanks for the gaming benchmark website, should prove handy.

To conclude, thanks for your service ;)

KingJamieGrant

KingJamieGrant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

This is a lot of questions, and if you can't answer them all, tell me. (As it may be time consuming)

1) By any chance I was to over-clock this setup in the future,
would I have to increase the amount of fans I have, to keep the
system at a lower temperature to make sure the system is fully
optimized and wont run into any problems/malfunctioning when gaming 
or add some additional hardware?

2) Another question is that how with the NZXT Case would I connect the fans to the
part on the case where I can control the fans speeds;
e.g the fans like http://uk.pcpartpick...fan-r4l2r20arr1
would I have to buy adapters for it or..?

3) What software would you recommend to make sure my system has no viruses, constantly
cleans the computer for unnecessary files/documents (things that make the system slower)

and also helps to optimize the computer/system so that it's in constant good quality. Last what

products would you generally recommend to have on my pc system.

(Just curious about this, as I want to have all the stuff ready so I can buy this in bulk and finish it
quicker when I decide to build this all)

Edited by KingJamieGrant, 17 May 2015 - 08:33 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

1:If OCing the processor I would suggest trying the stock cooler first, if it gets too hot, stop OCing until a better third party cooler has been attached to the CPU.

2: Those fans are the 3 pin type that connect to headers on the MB, they are not capable of being controlled by any means.

3: Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software also please be aware that there is no software that will optimise your computer performance, this is achieved by being careful what you download and tidying up temp files regular with something like TFC by OldTimer

Got to pop out but will be back shortly.

KingJamieGrant

KingJamieGrant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Thanks for those answers, but what would you personally recommend (software to install for my pc) - that you've used on your pc

and has been showing great success as I can plan ahead and gather info on it ;)?

Once again thanks Phill ;)

Edited by KingJamieGrant, 17 May 2015 - 10:26 AM.