Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Monitors go black randomly, can still hear programs.(Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 28 June 2015 - 09:30 AM

Enabling QFan results in CPU Fan errors when booting.   Aye noted that in your reply #36 and incorrectly thought that you had AI installed, I read the ASUS FAQ here and it says that... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

This issue is driving me insane. It has been occurring on and off for the past year, through two iterations of video cards. It is always when I have twitch playing a stream. The most recent incident I had a twitch stream in chrome playing while I was looking at Wikipedia articles. Then both monitors went black like they lost signal, they then go through their cycle of 'No signal' while rotating between input modes. I could still hear the twitch stream playing so to my knowledge the operating system was fine. The signal never comes back, I have to press the reset button on my PC.

Here is everything I have tried.

1. Disable hardware acceleration in Flashplayer.

2. Clean install video drivers and update to latest.

3. Clean re-install of Flashplayer.

4. New video card (the previous video card also had this issue when I played video games, so far this one only does it when twitch is going.

5. I cannot reproduce it on demand. Sometimes its weeks between occurrences. It has recently occurred twice in past 4 days.

6. Event viewer shows nothing under application or system. Just errors when I press the reset to reboot my PC. 

PC Specs:

Windows 7 64bit

Intel 2.4GHz Quad Core

6GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 750 Ti video card (uses PCI for power)

Two external monitors

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Hello Trippster,

Overheating and drivers crashing can both cause what you describe, you have tried different drivers without success and replaced the video card only for the issue to return so initially we should look elsewhere.

The video card may not need an additional power dongle from the PSU but it does still require the system to be powered by a good quality brand 300W PSU, can you post the brand and model name or number of your PSU.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Sorry for the delayed response. I was out of town on work. I attached 3 pictures. One of speedfan and two of HWInfo. Both were taken after Twitch was playing for ~5 minutes.

PSU Purchased August 2008: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139006

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.jpg
  • hwinfo1.jpg
  • hwinfo2.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Speedfan is reporting a slightly low reading on the +12V rail of the PSU, among other things the +12V rail provides the power for your add on video card albeit not by way of an additional power dongle.

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.
The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

According to BIOS:

CPU Temp: 39.5C

MB Temp: 34C

CPU V: 1.168

3.3V: 3.264

5V: 5.094

12V: 12.193

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Those readings are ok but as said keep in mind that the computer is not under any load.

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the MB and the same for the Ram please.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145224

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Got the Ram but no MB details I'm afraid  :(

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

My apologies.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131641

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Thanks for the MB details  :thumbsup:

I was hoping that the board had an integrated video chip but alas not  :(

As the issue is sporadic it will be hard to pin down the cause and atm all that I can think of is to try restoring the MBs default settings in the BIOS and trying only two sticks of Ram in slots A1 and B1 so that they are in dual channel mode, a pain in the proverbial I know but the Ram needs to be alternated so that all three sticks have been tested in dual channel mode.

Advertisements

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

I am planning on upgrading my PC this year. Do you think this problem could be at all with the memory? I was going to upgrade to 12MB.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Checking out the Ram and the memory slots will go some way to ruling it in or out as the cause, as said it is a pain to do + it is also time consuming, my canned text below will hopefully help, keep in mind that the screen itself could have a fault.

How to physically test your Ram.

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.

Remove each stick of Ram and blow out the memory slots.

Insert two sticks of Ram in slots A1 and B1, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.

Power up the computer and see how it goes.

Make a note of the results.

Repeat the procedure until each stick of Ram has been tested in A1 and B1 memory slots and the results written down.

Repeat the procedure with all Ram until each stick has been tested in both the A1 and B1 slots and the results written down.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Not heard back from you Trippster, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

I won't have time to open it up for awhile, so you can close this out. I will reply back if needed or open a new case and refer to this. I removed a bunch of addons/plugins for Chrome and haven't had a crash since, but as this is a random issue I won't know if that fixed it for some time. Thank you for your help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

No problem reply when you can and fwiw we only check that folk are still around because so many members abandon their topics when they no longer require the help that is provided here for free  :(