Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Monitors go black randomly, can still hear programs.(Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 28 June 2015 - 09:30 AM

Enabling QFan results in CPU Fan errors when booting.   Aye noted that in your reply #36 and incorrectly thought that you had AI installed, I read the ASUS FAQ here and it says that... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Hi Phil,

I wanted to open this back up as I was able to run some more tests.

I did a full memtest which all passed. I also ran a full GPU stress test which passed as well, so I don't think any of the memory in my system is experiencing problems. I also realized the computer appears on, but the programs do close after 5-10 seconds. My belief is that the motherboard is shutting some hardware component down as a fail safe protection.

Any ideas of what to check next?

*Edit - I want to add Speedfan is reporting a hot CPU temp of ~56C while under 20-26% load. Seems high to me, though I believe the max recommended temp for my CPU is 67C. The only process running is a Steam game download. No twitch or game is running. 

Edited by Trippster, 23 June 2015 - 11:14 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Hi Trippster,

Memtest is very good but it is nowhere near as good as physically testing the Ram as described in my reply #12, running Memtest 5/6 times on each configuration of Ram will help to rule it in or out as the cause;

How to physically test your Ram.

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.

Remove each stick of Ram and blow out the memory slots.

Insert two sticks of Ram in slots A1 and B1, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.

Power up the computer and see how it goes.

Make a note of the results.

Repeat the procedure until each stick of Ram has been tested in A1 and B1 memory slots and the results written down.

Repeat the procedure with all Ram until each stick has been tested in both the A1 and B1 slots and the results written down.

Can you do the following for us meanwhile please;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

I have a new gfx card and PSU arriving this week. I will run these tests as I swap out those parts. Hopefully these may resolve one or both issues as well.

Also what results am I looking for exactly? Just if it is a successful boot into windows or not?

Edited by Trippster, 24 June 2015 - 10:54 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Also what results am I looking for exactly? Just if it is a successful boot into windows or not?

If I am understanding what you are asking correctly, Speccy does not test anything it provides a report on your hardware configuration and performance + what software that you have installed.

Follow the steps as detailed here and you will have no problem publishing a snapshot.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

I meant results from swapping the RAM sticks around.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

As post in reply #17

running Memtest 5/6 times on each configuration of Ram will help to rule it in or out as the cause;

If each configuration of Ram passes 5/6 runs of Memtest the Ram is highly unlikely to be the cause of the issue, the same for the memory slots on the MB.

Can we have a Speccy url  :)

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...MIaAtCx2VjV6tI4

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Nothing showing in Speccy that would explain the issue but it does show that two PCI-E slots are in use when you only have the one add on video card, can I ask in which slot you have the card and have you tried swapping the card to the other darker blue slot.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

The card is in PCI_16E_1. Nothing in the other dark blue and I have never had anything in it. I did install a new GTX 970 30 minutes ago though. Well see if I can reproduce any of these crashes while on this card. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Thanks for the update and fingers crossed  :thumbsup:

NB: It is a pity that you did not get the new PSU first so that you could have tried it with the GTX 750Ti first.

Advertisements

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

I wanted to get a new Gfx card anyways.

However, I just played Rage on max settings for 10 minutes and was a little concerned by some of the temps and CPU fan speed. The CPU peaked at around 69C, that seems really high. The CPU fan speed never got past 840rpm, which seems really low, my chassis fans are going faster than that.....

GPU temp reached about 70, but I think that is normal range, once it gets pass 80 I may get concerned. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

See if you are able to ramp up the speed of the CPU fan with Speedfan, a guide to help with that here

70 is ok for the GPU when under load but not continued use, speeding up the CPU fan if you can may also help to drop the GPU temps.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Unfortunately the 840rpms was at 100% speed.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Found this post from a few years back on another site, possibly relevent?

"After much troubleshooting and frustration, I had the whole computer set up and running outside of the case and the CPU fan was running at 3500RPM average and CPU temp dropped right to 30c.

I then tested it playing a CPU intensive game (FIFA 12) and the CPU only went to 38c and the CPU fan RPM went up to keep it cool! It was usually going up to around 70c before with the 975RPM. 

So that lead me to believe it was something in the case interfering with the fans voltage from the four pin power on the mobo. 

So, I put the whole thing back in it's case in same set up as I had just had it working and low and behold the fans RPM was back down and the CPU was running hot. 

Figuring the only thing that was different from outside the case to inside the case was the fact there is screws now touching the mobo, I decided to take them out one by one, booting up each time with one less screw, to see if was them. Starting logically with the screw closest to the cpu fans power pins, I hit the jackpot. It was that little bar steward causing some kind of voltage problem. I have it running now inside the case at a cool 32c and fan speed of 3169RPM."

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

I'm happy to report a new CPU fan is churning along at 1900 RPMs! YAY!

Still haven't installed new PSU, may wait to see how it all acts for a week.