Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezing On Browser And Loading Programs

Best Answer phillpower2 , 19 May 2015 - 03:19 PM

I did use kaspersky with the previous hardware.  Was it without issue, is it a paid for product would you be ok with temporarily uninstalling it for testing purposes. Speedfan is sho... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

englishbanana

englishbanana

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, so latley my computer has been randomly freezing alot and i cannot for the life of me work out why. Usually it freezes when opening new tabs in chrome or opening multiple programs which suggests its to do with the CPU. However i have an 8 core cpu so multiple programs opening at the same time, shouldn't be a problem.

Specs:
AMD FX-8350
AMD r9-270x
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard 
Corsair 16GB RAM
Corsair 750w Power Unit
Air cooling 4 fans, cpu idles at 35, gpu idles at 42.

Any help is appreciated!

Edited by englishbanana, 16 May 2015 - 05:16 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   englishbanana,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

englishbanana

englishbanana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thank you for replying, here's the Speecy link.

http://speccy.pirifo...UvVeIxqHQ7f4F0k

Thanks for the tip as well!

Edited by englishbanana, 17 May 2015 - 09:28 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Nothing of note in Speccy other than the the PSU output not looking right, we will check this in due course but not atm.

Can I ask when the issue first started, had you installed any new software or updated Windows etc

Have you checked for a restore point that is before the issue first started.

You have said that it also happens when opening multiple programs but is this while you are also connected to the internet.

How does the computer behave if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking.

We may have a better idea once we have the above info but atm other than the low PSU readings there is nothing to suggest that it is hardware related.

You are welcome btw  :)

englishbanana

englishbanana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

The issue started when i installed a new motherboard and CPU in my PC which gives me the idea that its hardware related.

Other than that, the problem usually does occur when opening programs whilst connected to the internet.

Also, before i installed a new processor, my old CPU was an AMD Phenom X4 II. Using a very intensive game as a benchmark sort of, i noticed i would be getting a higher fps using the Amd Phenom X4 II, than i would using the AMD Fx-8350. Which should not be the case as the 8350 is a very powerful CPU. Its not my gpu's fault as far as i can tell because turning up or down the graphics doesn't increase or decrease the fps.

Edited by englishbanana, 17 May 2015 - 11:08 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

The issue predominantly being when connected to the internet could be a clue here, were you using Kaspersky with the previous hardware.

I mentioned checking the PSU output, can you do the following for us, it would be best if both programs were run after watching a video or some gaming;

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

englishbanana

englishbanana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I did use kaspersky with the previous hardware.

Speedfan:

http://prntscr.com/76dm63

HwMonitor:

http://prntscr.com/76dndk

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
✓  Best Answer
I did use kaspersky with the previous hardware.

Was it without issue, is it a paid for product would you be ok with temporarily uninstalling it for testing purposes.

Speedfan is showing high CPU usage for a computer that is not under load + the core usage is uneven, core 6 and 7 for example are not even registering while core 8 is and quite high, with this in mind I checked the CPU specs here where it shows that the supported memory is DDR3 1866 whereas you have DDR3 1600 XMP, try overclocking your Ram to 1866MHz to see if that helps.

The present Ram here

Stock compatible Ram here

The MBs QVL here lists both types as having been tested but unfortunately what it does not tell is what Ram was tested with which particular CPU.

englishbanana

englishbanana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

The kaspersky i have installed is a paid product and i don't really want to uninstall it as last time i did this, my computer was almost instantly infected with something. If there is a safe way to uninstall and reinstall the product without any problems id be happy to do so.

However looking at your message, the RAM might be the problem, ill look into overclocking it. 

Thanks for the reply.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

I also asked if you had any issues when you used Kaspersky with your previous hardware, can you let us know please.

The kaspersky i have installed is a paid product and i don't really want to uninstall it as last time i did this, my computer was almost instantly infected with something

Was this recently and with the present hardware.

To test the system without Kaspersky you only need to uninstall it and then use the computer while not connected to the internet, test it to see how it behaves with multiple applications open etc, alternatively uninstall Kaspersky and then try a free alternative such as Avast, the latter would obviously allow you to see if your internet performance improved.

The Ram specs was the only hardware discrepancy that I found and while I am not a fan of OCing it does make sense to see if ramping the speed up helps any.

You are welcome  :)

englishbanana

englishbanana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Just overclocked my ram, on first boot it was freezing a bit but now everythings loaded it seems to be working fine. Im going to run a CPU intensive game and tell you what happens.

Also, kaspersky has not caused any problems in the past and the issue with the infection happened on the present hardware. 

englishbanana

englishbanana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thank you so much! Overclocking the ram has certainly solved the issue! It now runs really smoothly and runs my most intensive game on high at 30fps. Amazing difference seeing as before it couldn't get that fps on low.

Thank you sooo much, you've been a huge help!  :laughing:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are most welcome and thank you for the follow up  :)

Thread marked as resolved but any further problems regarding the same issue please feel free to return here  :thumbsup: