Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot enter secure sites

• Please log in to reply

Mfornelli

Mfornelli

• Pip
  • 8 posts
For about a month now I have not been able to get on secure sites. I spent many hours w/SBC tech support (my internet provider) and Sony. They have had me do everything, even reinstalling everything, but nothing has worked!!! HELP!!!

Advertisements

merlin811

merlin811

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
and you've tried lowering your security to medium or low?

Mfornelli

Mfornelli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes it is on low and the tech guy had me do stuff in dos mode and that didn't work

Mfornelli

Mfornelli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay right before this happened we had problems w/ pop ups, like 60 at a time, my husband ran Ad Aware several times and turn on the norton updates. The pop ups stop and thats when we had the problem w/entering secure sites.

merlin811

merlin811

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
ok Norton internet security is probably set too high go to options in norton and set them low to see if you can get back on.

Mfornelli

Mfornelli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I just tried and it said Access Denied. Only the Supervisor can view/change the options. Huh?

merlin811

merlin811

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
ok , open up norton internet security.the main screen will say "block traffic" "live update" "options" then on the left you'll see norton internet options.click on that to open it.then on the right you'll see Settings for: Make sure it says "Supervisor" or you'll have the problem you have.Now you can change what ever you need to. :tazz:

Mfornelli

Mfornelli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay, I did that not to sound stupid, but once I get that open what do I do? It's not like regular internet security where you put low. And now my Husband is telling me that he did not turn the norton updates on. The only thing he did was run Adware over and over again. Then the updates start by themselves. Arghh :tazz: !!!!! I just want to do online banking again!!!

merlin811

merlin811

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
ok lets do a couple things first,go to start>control panel>internet options>general
click on delete cookies then delete files.then restart your browser & see if you can log back on to your site.

Mfornelli

Mfornelli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I did that still not working

merlin811

merlin811

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
ok click on this link it will give you Microsofts anti syware see if it finds anything.

http://www.microsoft...re/default.mspx

and go to start>control panel>add remove programs

and scrolldown the list to see if there is anything you dont recognize.like Search assistant, bullseye ,or any other shopping or bargain installs.

Edited by merlin811, 14 June 2005 - 01:11 PM.

Mfornelli

Mfornelli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
okay did that, found 23 things removed them, and still can't get on secured sites. Should I turn off Norton and see if that works?

Edited by Mfornelli, 14 June 2005 - 03:57 PM.

merlin811

merlin811

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
yes turn off norton (disable) but also go here first.

http://v5.windowsupd...t.aspx?ln=en-us

and do the express scan and see if you need any browser security updates or XP updates.then get back to me.... :tazz:

Mfornelli

Mfornelli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried and this is what it said:
Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page.
Oh and Norton was already disabled??????????

Edited by Mfornelli, 15 June 2005 - 05:34 PM.