Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Almost a week of trying to fix issues. [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ChapelOfGhouls

ChapelOfGhouls

• Pip
  • 2 posts

It first started when a window message saying mswindows.exe had an entry point error came up every time I boot Windows XP. I tried to fix it by using the Recovery Console, got stumped, restart, and for some reason, booting never made it pass the Windows XP loading bar. It would always restart. Hours of waiting in scanning through Kaspersky rescue disc (the updating was too long, I quit), and doing a repair install, twice, I found out my usb storage devices were the problem. Flash drive and external HDD, removed, yet they work on the laptop. The Flash drive is where I run Kaspersky, so I learn more and more that I'm infected. A few days and few rescue CDs, I think I eliminated most problems. Mswindows error came from a registry problem, the usb storage freezing problem, I'm not sure how I solved it. It came after running a HDD program from Hirens Boot CD. Seemingly the only problem is running anti-virus/malware/spyware software in the OS, without needing a boot CD/USB. I can't even empty the recycling bin without an access denied message. I used unlocker to remove Malwarebytes, the starting indication that my computer was infected, getting messages that prevented me from running the program. I couldn't install AVG, I just downloaded and failed to run ComboFix. AVG's rescue disc cleared out everything but this problem.

I'm stuck now, I don't know how to clean this anti-security thing. I used MBAM on Hirens Boot CD a second time, this time after updating the database, removed 6 threats, still doesn't solve the security software ban and emptying the recycling bin completely. The message when trying to empty the bin is "cannot remove dh79. Access denied." I recently reformatted and reinstalled Kaspersky rescue disc on the flash drive, and would now get mounting errors. On the CD version, the screen heads to black during the white bar loading part.

I'm hesitant to format because 1.) I'm saving up for a new computer, so eventually this PC will just be left alone to collect dust, leading to 2.) I don't feel like moving gigs of files to my external HDD, as the internal HDD is almost full (73GB total space). I know I have to eventually when I go to a new PC.

Advertisements

ChapelOfGhouls

ChapelOfGhouls

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

It seems everything's fine now. One thread here seemed to be like my situation, and reading from that helped. I used exehelper, and was able to run MBAM and install AVG. Scanned with MBAM, 3 threats cleaned, but the recycling bin still wouldn't empty. AVG scan, no threats. I then ran Combofix, and the scan was taking forever, or it just froze. I tried closing some programs, and couldn't, not even through Task Manager. I forced shut down, and booting up, everything's back to normal. The bin is empty, no error message, all good.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

OK, thanks for letting us know. Glad you got it resolved.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.