Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer takes a long time to reboot.

• Please log in to reply

RezTor

RezTor

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Hello everyone!

I have had this problem for a few days and it arose after I downloaded programs that should help me feel safer when I use my computer.

I have no problem with my computer when I start it or when I use it as I normally always have done, but it is just when I must restart it, then it lowers my screen brightness and everything freezes, this happens every time I restart my PC.

At those times when I restart my computer this problem takes place and my computer freezes up and I am unable doing anything on it, for about 20 seconds then it starts to reboot again. It has happened that I had to unplug the power cable from the computer because the computer has never begun to restart, everything on the screen is frozen and I can not do anything except to pull out the power cable.

I use Windows 8.1 and those programs I downloaded before this began to happen on my PC are listed here;
-CryptoPrevent
-ESET
-Kaspersky Password Manager
-Malwarebytes
-RogueKiller
-Secunia PSI
-SUPERAntiSpyware
-Speccy

Is there anyone on this forum who know what the problem might be with my computer when it is behaving as this?

I run virus scans daily with multiple applications and no viruses are found. I have recently created a thread on this forum and I was afraid I had a malicious file on my computer and they've looked through all the files on my computer and not found anything harmful.

EDIT: If I put this in the wrong section, move it.

Kind regards, RezTor.

Edited by RezTor, 18 May 2015 - 12:49 AM.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi RezTor :)

My guess is that there's conflict between the various security software you are using. CryptoPrevent can be left out, assuming you use the free version and you only made the changes in the Registry and GPO and you aren't using the real-time protection of it. Correct me if I'm wrong. RogueKiller can also be left out since it's an on-demand executable, so it won't run in the background, you need to execute it manually, and once you close it, there's no process or service running from it in the background.

What edition of ESET are you using? Same for Malwarebytes?

SecuniaPSI and Speccy are also what "on-demand" scanner, not really related to the immediate security of the system. Unless you checked the option to launch SecuniaPSI on boot, I doubt it's even running as a service right now. And as for Kaspersky Password Manager, I doubt that a simple program like that would cause all these issues.

My bet is a conflict between ESET and Malwarebytes, and maybe CryptoPrevent if you use the real-time protection.

RezTor

RezTor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

I'm sorry I never mention that I use ESET Online Scanner not the regular anti-virus protection. I downloaded the newest version of MalwareBytes from their website, I don't know which one that is, sorry. 

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
If you don't have a licence, it's Malwarebytes Free, otherwise, it's Premium. Also, I doubt that ESET Online Scanner is causing these issues, since it's also an on-demand scanner. Let's check the installed programs and Event Viewer for more clues.

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the executable file to your Desktop;
  • Execute MiniToolBox and check the following options:
    • List Installed Programs;
    • List Last 10 Event Viewer Errors;
      Yjt97o0.png
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

RezTor

RezTor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

The problem is solved, I did not do anything, it's not happening on my computer anymore when I'm rebooting it, thank you Aura for your time but I'm all good now.  :D

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No problem RezTor, I'm glad that your issue has been solved :)