Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Video Card causing major slowdown when booting windows

• Please log in to reply

textra

textra

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

So I have purchased an ASUS gtx 970 (the new white version) and after installing it I have noticed it takes my computer about 1 minute for the boot screen to go away and finally load windows.

I have owned 2 video cards recently from ASUS, I purchased a gtx 960 before and I experienced the same problem. I then returned it and purchased a gtx 970 instead and still the same thing is happening.

My EVGA GTX 670 would not have any of these problems, as a test I poped it back in and the boot screen lasted only 1 or 2 seconds and the windows loaded.

What is this going on? what can I do to resolve this situation?

Thank you

Edited by textra, 18 May 2015 - 08:25 AM.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Possible to list make and model of this PC, Custom build list all the specs. I have same card but EVGA brand, it pauses a few seconds just before my motherboard logo screen on a restart. Do you have the latest drivers for the card as one came out on may 18 ? How is performance otherwise ? What OS ? Sometimes BIOS update can resolve this issue, but we would rather see your specs first.

Edited by jds63, 18 May 2015 - 03:12 PM.

textra

textra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Here are my specs:

Windows 7 (installed on a 120g SSD)

i5 3570k

Gigabyte Tech z77x-ud5h

16g of ram by G.Skill

The performance I have no idea but I had a chance of playing some games and I saw nothing out of the ordinary.

I am not sure how to properly test the graphics card but so far it seems to work. I am sure I have the latest updates, I installed what came on the CD when I got this card and updated to the latest version via internet. (something something grand theft auto)

Edited by textra, 18 May 2015 - 03:42 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

That would be driver just before newest here, not sure have 32bit or 64bit windows 7  http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-us  That is o.k. one you mentioned listed for Grand Theft Auto V, as for now not much difference in these drivers comapred to newer one.

Seems as older motherboard, last BIOS being in 2012 and 2 newer being BETA still in 2013  http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=4139#dl

Best to list make and model of PC as not all specs are listed and this Video card requires 400w or greater Power supply also, with 6 pin and 8pin power connection to PSU.

Not sure yet what could be causing hang as of yet, when computer boot it checks BIOS verifies RAM by performing a read/write test of each memory address.It checks the PS/2 ports or USB ports for a keyboard and a mouse. It looks for a peripheral component(PCI)if it finds one, checks all the PCI cards, looks for OS.

textra

textra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I am honestly new to all this.

my power supply is a 750 corsair so I dont think that is my problem.

I will download the new geforce driver but if that does not work what do you suggest I do? please list them in steps because I am not that familiar with the terminologies and assumed procedures I have to be doing

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I am honestly new to all this.

my power supply is a 750 corsair so I dont think that is my problem.

I will download the new geforce driver but if that does not work what do you suggest I do? please list them in steps because I am not that familiar with the terminologies and assumed procedures I have to be doing

Yes that is sufficient does have enough connectors to connect to this card ? Is this exact card http://www.asus.com/...BOGTX970OC4GD5/

Seems to be an issue during booting up with these cards, most cases i have heard of something similar to this is that PC does not boot at all, not slow boot which is more rare.

Since you tried 2 different cards it rules out it being the video card. Researching myself because not a common issue. BIOS related or hardware incompatibility or conflict with these video cards and something else in system.

Had the driver just before new one, do not feel newer one will make a difference.

See similar one here , saying either BIOS update or conflict https://forums.gefor...t-black-screen/

Edited by jds63, 18 May 2015 - 05:58 PM.

textra

textra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Yes that is my card.

actually what I said was when I put the old video card it starts normally, meaning it would take a split second to boot but when I use the new one it takes frigging for ever though these days I become accustomed to it. Now I just turn on the computer and go wash my hands or grab something to eat... by the time I get back the computer is already on *shrug*

at this point I just wanted to make sure this is not something bad or a prelude to something bad. If everything is alright no point in screwing anything up so I will just live with it.

Just one last question.

I wanted to make a dual screen, I have an old monitor that can use, all I want is to be able to have an extension to the other monitor. So lets say I am playing a game but I want a youtube video or something active on the other monitor or I have two word documents open. One on one side and one on the other.

So what should I do? I know if I simply google this I will get hundreds upon hundreds of pages but I just wanted to know from an experienced user what is the best solution to what I want specifically?

thanks.

Edited by textra, 22 May 2015 - 09:51 AM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Yes that is my card.

actually what I said was when I put the old video card it starts normally, meaning it would take a split second to boot but when I use the new one it takes frigging for ever though these days I become accustomed to it. Now I just turn on the computer and go wash my hands or grab something to eat... by the time I get back the computer is already on *shrug*

at this point I just wanted to make sure this is not something bad or a prelude to something bad. If everything is alright no point in screwing anything up so I will just live with it.

Just one last question.

I wanted to make a dual screen, I have an old monitor that can use, all I want is to be able to have an extension to the other monitor. So lets say I am playing a game but I want a youtube video or something active on the other monitor or I have two word documents open. One on one side and one on the other.

So what should I do? I know if I simply google this I will get hundreds upon hundreds of pages but I just wanted to know from an experienced user what is the best solution to what I want specifically?

thanks.

Chances it could be not compatible with motherboard well or the BIOS, making it take long to test the card at boot. At boot each device is checked that are installed. Just that most issues i know of with video cards are no picture, no boot up, as never heard much on slow bootup. If i find more on it let you know or if others here have a better idea. Suggestion as card being new can try calling ASUS asking them.In post #6 i gave you there link, use support area.

Not familiar with dual monitor setup i do know with this card having more then one output port it is possible, so for me giving you advice would be same as you going online researching the correct ways. Usually after hooking second monitor up have to set it up in control panel i believe under Display.

Edited by jds63, 22 May 2015 - 02:38 PM.