Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

comp freezes on screen, no response during game

• Please log in to reply

jzhou

jzhou

• Pip
  • 2 posts
this happens at random around 10 - 20 mins of playing. i have no idea what the problem is.

my system specs are:
win xp pro os
2gb ddr2 ram
ATI x850xt pcie gfx card
3.2ghz p4
AA8 ABIT mobo

ive tried installing latests and original drivers for the gfx card, but it hasnt done anything. although i noticed the new 5.6 catalyst drivers freeze my system around only 5 minutes into a game. i also get the same freezing problem when running 3dmark, a gfx benchmark program. the only clu i have is from event viewer, which says the following under systems tab

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000fe (0x00000002, 0x87018008, 0x86fd3208, 0x897bf458). A full dump was not saved.

according to what ive researched so far, this might be a RAM problem with faulty memory. however, i can not test my ram rite now, becuz i do not have a floppy drive installed.
im definately hoping this is not a gfx card related issue, because i spent 460 bucks on the 850xt. according to EVEREST, my cpu temps around 32 idle and 50 under load, although im not sure if this is really accurate, since i heard mobo temp sensors are very innacurate. my gfx temps are around 60 under load, and 42 idle, so i dont think the fan is faulty.

im really at a loss for what to do right now. any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go. What you describes does sound like an overheating problem. Could be the CPU, or graphic card GPU. Have you checked your case temp? Maybe you're not getting proper air flow, or don't have enough fans? You have a lot of heat generating components.

I'm also moving this to the hardware forum.

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Can you tell me what games you are playing when this happends, and also if you have defragmented your harddrive? I also think this sounds like a definite heat problems.

jzhou

jzhou

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i have two temperature sensors in my case, and they're usually at around 80 degrees farenheit. so far, my comp has frozen when i play counterstrike source and when i ran 3dmark benchmark programs. i havent defraged my hd, but i just ran a scandisk on it. so do u think the cpu temp sensors are innacurate?

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
its hard to say if the sensors are inaccurate but i would assume the worst and hope for the best. try running a good defrag software prog like diskkeeper and good anti virus like ewido and AVG, if that has no effect you could do a clean system swipe and if you still get no effect its most likely heat or bad ram.