Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't connect to wifi

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

I know very little about wifi so please bear with me.

I cannot connect to my landlord's wifi.  I have not been able to connect to his wifi since he switched from AT&T to Time Warner a few days ago.  When he was using AT&T I was able to connect to the internet every time.  My landlord easily connects to the internet with his smartphone right next to my apartment, and he says that the wifi signal is strong and 5G. 

My pc is a Lenovo H500 with 802.11 b/g/n.  I use W8.1 64 bit.  The wifi range extender I use is a Belkin N600 Dual Band.  The description on the box it came in says that it is 802.11a b/g/n, 2.4GHz or 5 GHz.  It lists several operating systems that it is compatible with but W8 is not on the list.  I have tried several times to reset the extender, but it always goes back to a blinking red light.  I used this same extender with my landlord's AT&T account, and the light always stayed blue.  There are four LAN ports in the back of the extender.  Do I need to connect a cable from one of these LAN ports to my computer? 

When I click the wifi signal symbol in my systems tray the wifi accounts under "Networks" are displayed.  My landlord's wifi account is listed there only occasionally.  When I have tried to log into his wifi account I get a message saying that I am not able to use this network.  When I have typed in the wrong password I get a different message saying that the password is not recognized, so I know that I have tried the correct password and still cannot log into his wifi account.  Thanks for any replies.  

Advertisements

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

I figured out the problem.  I did not configure my Belkin extender.  I am now able to connect to the internet.  Maybe you should close this topic so noone else wastes their time on it.  Thanks.