Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ssd failing

Best Answer jds63 , 25 June 2015 - 01:33 PM

Been 10 days since putting a different SSD on Port 1, the port i may have suspected to be bad or being the other SSD. So far other SSD has not disappeared yet. Give it more time since in past somet... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I have 2 SSD drives, Disk 0 has operating system which is Windows 8.1, Disk 1 has Games on it. Today i was playing a game which is located on Disk 1 and all of a sudden the game went off the screen, shutdown. Message from Stem came up suggesting it was possibly due to a file in Steam which it told me to remove in Program Files, then told me to reboot and start Steam again.

At that point i did, but when i tried play the game again it told me needed to be reinstalled. Went to look in File Explorer and the SSD disk 1 was gone, i checked Disk management and Device manager both places the drive was not shown. So i rebooted and went into the BIOS and the SSD was not there and not shown to be installed.

Next step was i opened the case removed the SATA cable then reconnected it, turned on the PC the drive showed up in File Explorer. Could be bad SATA cable, bad SATA Port or SSD is failing.

Happen to take a look in the Event Viewer i received about 7-8 warnings of this   An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.

Then 1 of this                                Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued.

First warning could mean nothing was able to be read from the SSD drive, similar warnings like this can come from blank media ( USB FLASH, Blank DVD..etc..)

Second warning possibly when i reconnected it. I attached text from warnings i saw in Event Viewer.   Source file was  iaStorA

which is driver for SATA AHCI Controller.  Has been no issues with main OS drive disk 0.

Not sure what to try next unless it happens again. Not many new information on these warnings in Event Viewer i can find online most date back 4 years or more and for reasons other then mine loss of drive installed in BIOS. 

Also attached SMART staus for DISK 1 plus read benchmark comparisons for both Disk 0 & disk 1.  I was never good at reading SMART data to know if it seems good, comparing to other SSD seemed the same.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg
  • Untitled2.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by jds63, 21 May 2015 - 06:42 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

The SMART data shows the memory chips in your SSD are in good shape. You've moved 15 blocks out of 4403 available for wear leveling. Nothing in SMART stands out as a concern. It's still like new, relatively speaking.

However, all SSDs also have a controller that communicates between the PC and the storage chips. SMART data can't predict controller failure. Often controller failure will have symptoms like you describe. The drive will not be visible to BIOS or the OS intermittently. Until it stops responding all together.

Prepare for the worse, backup your data if you haven't already. Next ensure the power cable is seated tightly. Also check the SATA cable. Replace it if you have a spare. Even try another SATA port. With any luck it's an issue with a cable or port. If it's the controller, hopefully it's still under warranty.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Thank you for your response. As said i can never seem to understand and interpret SMART data.Yes barely a year old the SSD, all i did was remove the SATA cable and re-insert it and reboot it worked again, so far still.

If controller was going bad wouldn't the other drives do the same, excuse my knowledge ? As i have another SSD (w/ Windows 8.1) same brand and a HDD. Don't they use the same controllers ?. Yes my next step would be changing the SATA Cable which is not old either, but knowing like the SSD or controller it's possible. As system together is few months old also.

I am always backed up. Question as far as the SMART data any chance can be the SSD Crucial has a 3 year warranty ? I know i have to take it a step at a time to figure it out, not the cable or controller.

Edited by jds63, 22 May 2015 - 02:26 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

The controller is on the drive, and would only affect that drive. It used to work with older hard drives to swap controllers, but even newer hard drives work less often because of data stored on the controller. Usually takes some special knowledge and tools to reprogram it to work. I'm not sure that's even possible with an SSD controller.

I'm sure Crucial will warranty it if you swap SATA cables and it keeps dropping from the system.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

The controller is on the drive, and would only affect that drive. It used to work with older hard drives to swap controllers, but even newer hard drives work less often because of data stored on the controller. Usually takes some special knowledge and tools to reprogram it to work. I'm not sure that's even possible with an SSD controller.

I'm sure Crucial will warranty it if you swap SATA cables and it keeps dropping from the system.

O.k. i am trying to teach myself more about controllers. And as you are saying there is a part of a drive which is called a controller, then there is a circuit on motherboard also called a SATA controller,am i correct ?

Because you spoke of possible bad SATA port before, that being part of motherboards controller. If any of this help this is my board  http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=5138#ov

Board does have 6 SATA III 6/GBs ports and 4 sSata ports.

Either i swap cables or try different SATA port. I would feel and if i have this correct if it has anything to do with controller on the board, circuit or whatever i would feel other drives would fail. If bad port, cable or SSD, yes i can see that.Trying to research online. Not sure if a firmware update would help, but if so i felt the other SSD would of had the same issues.

Originally showed up when i stressed the drive by playing a game, trying to replicate it in another way, but only other tools would be benchmarking it i already tested it sort of with a read test in the fIrst post. If you do know another diagnostics tool let me know, see no software wise way to test the motherboard controller. Happen to run a system diagnostic and system performance with Performance monitor in Windows 8.1 and everything passed.

Edited by jds63, 22 May 2015 - 05:21 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Used program recently released from Crucial to also check status of SMART data.http://www.crucial.c...orage-executive

Reading there about a firmware update as both of the SSD's i have are same exact models CT512MX100SSD1 for DISK 0 and DISK 1 (one with the issues).

Thinking if this can help me or in any other ways help performance, well i took a chance and updated it using the Crucial Storage Executive mentioned above. All went well no data loss as it is the preferred way to update firmware rather then boot from ISO on a USB Flash or CD. Not impressive software as i just used it to update the firmware.

Posted SMART data from Crucial Storage Executive and it looks the same as the previous one.

Also an image of the updates in the firmware update. One that caught my attention was one listed saying, SATA Interface signal integrity issues and of course improved stability and performance.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled3.jpg
  • Untitled.jpg

Edited by jds63, 22 May 2015 - 07:01 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Tried playing a game yesterday to try to see if i can reproduce the issue again and if it is still there. Played for many hours and nothing happened as SSD only has games on it. I know can be an intermittent issue with the SSD or SATA port. Update any further info.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

:thumbsup:

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

:thumbsup:

Thank you so far. Any other thoughts on this issue also doing firmware update. Could it possibly been update or the disconnecting and reconnected the SATA cable.Maybe just one time glitch. Guess time will tell.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Firmware is generally performance related. Dropping a drive would be huge news. Doubtful it's the firmware update. Probably the SATA cable. Cheap ones don't fit very securely. I like the ones with the metal retainer clips.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

O.k., one part in firmware update had my attention to think was related in any way, SATA Interface signal integrity issues. Very careful with my hardware. SATA cables i have do use the retainer clips and are fairly new.

As makes a snap noise i can't see how could of came loose as even when i clean inside of case it is not exposed enough for me to bump it in anyway to have loosened it. We will see as said, time will tell and intermittent issues can be hard to find an although only happened once. Reading something about possibly a PSU causing this, again brand new PSU knows that does not always matter EVGA 80 plus Gold 750W, a program i have shows some voltages here:

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Edited by jds63, 23 May 2015 - 07:01 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I think it was the cable connection. As you have regular backups I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Doubt you'll experience the problem again.

BTW, if you're a hard drive geek, you might want to check out http://www.hdsentinel.com/I wish it were free, but it's not. However, there is a trial, and sometimes they have special offers. I actually got mine for free, but would pay for it again. Simple reporting that is second to none I've found.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I think it was the cable connection. As you have regular backups I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Doubt you'll experience the problem again.

BTW, if you're a hard drive geek, you might want to check out http://www.hdsentinel.com/I wish it were free, but it's not. However, there is a trial, and sometimes they have special offers. I actually got mine for free, but would pay for it again. Simple reporting that is second to none I've found.

I hope so and seems to be fine since. Never had an issue like this in past and been using a PC for many years, but there is always a first time for everything. Yes games are backed up on Steam only thing i use this drive for. Have 1 SSD for Windows 8.1 this for games and do have a HDD with data on it, then all is backed up on an external drive and some discs.

Believe i may have used this program in the way past, Hard Drive Sentinel and yes it's rated well. Used drive again for hours yesterday all went o.k. again.

Thanks for the help again, i will give it a bit more time before i feel this post is solved for sure.

Edited by jds63, 24 May 2015 - 01:21 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Update to post, SSD drive 1 lost connection again while trying to use it for few seconds. This time i replaced the SATA cable and drive reappeared again. Same errors in text i posted in post # 1 in Event Viewer.

Felt not to replace cable at first unless it happened again, if it does my next step would be trying another SATA port. Now i have 6 SATA 3 ports labeled 0-5 and 4 sSATA Ports labeled 0-3.

As Disk 0 the C: drive OS is on, Disk 1 D: drive (one with issue) and i have a E: Drive HDD which is Disk 2 (SATA Port 2). Does it make a difference which ports they use in order of there drive letters ? 

Ran another SMART on disk 1 looks same if it matters.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled2.jpg
  • Untitled3.jpg

Edited by jds63, 26 May 2015 - 04:00 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I shouldn't make any difference which port you're connected to, but i guess stranger things have happened.