Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ssd failing

Best Answer jds63 , 25 June 2015 - 01:33 PM

Been 10 days since putting a different SSD on Port 1, the port i may have suspected to be bad or being the other SSD. So far other SSD has not disappeared yet. Give it more time since in past somet... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I shouldn't make any difference which port you're connected to, but i guess stranger things have happened.

What is the stranger things ? Well i am installed UEFI with GUID partition style on 2 SSD's i have C: & D: drives and the HDD is MBR style.

D: SSD being one with issue.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Somone else mentioned to me they felt AE Unexpected power loss in SMART data may show a power issue with the SSD and also if cable or port was bad also the C7 Ultra DMA CRC Error rate would show values.

Researching the Unexpected Power Loss did not come up with much in case of that exact fact, more about being improper shutdown of drives, loss of power to PC, BSOD ,freeze up will add this data to SMART. Both of my SSD's showed similar values on this.

Telling me to check advanced pwer settings if drive was set to shutoff at certain time, but this has been disabled always and i do not use hibernate or sleep modes.

Just a thought from another to possibly be the issue, but other drives work fine on same power cable to PSU.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Edited by jds63, 28 May 2015 - 01:52 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I shouldn't make any difference which port you're connected to, but i guess stranger things have happened.

What is the stranger things ? 

A bent pin? A bad trace on the motherboard. Just saying it's not impossible for the SATA port to be the issue. Just not likely.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Somone else mentioned to me they felt AE Unexpected power loss in SMART data may show a power issue with the SSD...

Looks to be a normal range to me.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Yes, i am not in doubt of reasons could cause this as few things can be. As said intermittent problems are the toughest to solve.

What is the stranger things ? 

A bent pin? A bad trace on the motherboard. Just saying it's not impossible for the SATA port to be the issue. Just not likely.

So you feel more common reasons could be the SATA cable ? When you say bent pin mean inside SATA Ports connections or the SATA cable, or i assume either or ?

Since cable change it is fine, but that was case after checking connections and reconnecting it, as again time will tell all on any solution try.

Edited by jds63, 28 May 2015 - 02:36 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Came across this on research, similar to my issue   http://www.heritage-...roblems-solved/

Found the cable to be the issue.

Edited by jds63, 30 May 2015 - 10:09 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Been 8 since changing the SATA Cable hopefully this was the problem, i will keep you posted.

Edited by jds63, 05 June 2015 - 10:42 AM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Now been 10 days since replacing SATA cable all is good,bought some better quality SATA Cables i will use for rest of my drives as had same cable as one changed, use on all of them.

Keep this open for little while longer then assume it is solved.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Well it was little over 2 weeks since changing the SATA Cable and it happend to Disk 1, port 1 again. My next step will be to change to another port feeling something wrong with SATA Port 1. Only other thought was power cable, but it goes straight to the PSU and 3 drives are on same SATA Power cable, 2 are SSD's one a HDD. Other 2 work fine.Have reorginized all cables a few days agao made sure no bends in any, even changed all SATA cables to brand new.

Edited by jds63, 08 June 2015 - 08:57 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Question can i temporarily move supposide drive with issue on Port 1 to another port when it has stuff installed on it, will windows have a issue running files on it. Drive is assigned D: letter and i will move E: drive to port 1 and D: drive to port 2 which E: was on. That way if E: drive fails i know it is the port, if D: drive fails on port 2 i know it was the drive.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

o.k. i swapped the ports on the D: (port 1) and E: (port  2) drives. If D: drive disappears now, we know issue was not port 1, unless E: drive does.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Three days, no issues with either drive after port swap,  found this same model SSD as one with issue and i have 2 on system ,but one giving me issues 

http://forum.crucial...tem/td-p/162778

People thought Firmware update would of helped, as i even did too, but did not for either of us.

Edited by jds63, 13 June 2015 - 12:14 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Thanks for keeping us updated. Weird issue. If it were the controller I'd have expected it tot get worse, or have failed by now. If the same thing happens on the new port, I wouldn't spend any more time on it. Request an RMA and warranty exchange it.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Thanks for keeping us updated. Weird issue. If it were the controller I'd have expected it tot get worse, or have failed by now. If the same thing happens on the new port, I wouldn't spend any more time on it. Request an RMA and warranty exchange it.

Yes, exactly i would RMA the SSD, but has not happened yet by swapping ports and as before can sometimes take a week or more, try to stress each drive now.

Does this article make me think now can be this model drive, my guess is as good as any. Did speak with Gigabyte on being board issue, feel if board most ports be bad would be more common then one port, sometimes anything is possible. Thanks and your welcome.

Edited by jds63, 13 June 2015 - 12:59 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

:whistling:  Nothing happened yet !!

Possible from swapping ports that being the HDD which is now on Port 1 and not having the issue as the SSD did, can it still be an issue with port and HDD is just not as sensitive to a problem as SSD would be ? 

Since SSD being on different port not disappearing yet, but  a few times it took a week or 2.

Edited by jds63, 16 June 2015 - 01:30 PM.