Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Infected: Fake Plugin Activity 2-- WIN 8 IE & Firefox

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Chuck4u

Chuck4u

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

I'm getting this message: System Infected: Fake Plugin Activity 2 on my Windows 8 machine when I launch a browser (it happens in both Internet Explorer & Firefox). After receiving the error message, I ran a full scan with Norton and the problem was not detected.

Also, when I try to download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (via either Internet Explorer or Firefox) from bleepingcomputer.com, Norton says the program is unsafe and removes the program.   Norton says that the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool is a threat: WS.Reputation.1.  Apparently, Norton deemsFRST as having an unsafe reputation and appears to be blocking it from being downloaded (or is the virus jumping in to trick Norton to offer this message?).

Without the aid of Farbar, I used Microsoft Safety Scanner and it found and removed the following: SoftwareBundler:Win32/InstalleRex.  While it got rid of the SoftwareBundler, it did not detect the "Fake Plugin" problem & therefore was unable to resolve it.  The message continues to pop up.

Some other potentiatlly-relevant background: I had downloaded some video plug-ins for Firefox and installed Adobe FlashPlayer, and Java just prior to things going south.  In light of the error message, I'm wondering what (if anything) these might have to do with the problem.

Thank you in advance for any help & guidance you can provide me!

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

Please only post one topic on an issue.  If you have no response in three days you can post here.

This duplicate topic is closed.