Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not run certain software on my computer. [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I do not want to make any conclusions but would not moving the file to another folder in this case... fix the issue?

I am not sure what you mean. Can you expand on that and tell me how that might work?

The runtime did not take 15 minutes but 15 seconds......Is that an issue?

Let's do this:

1.Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories  right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

2.At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

Note the gap between c and / it should be there.

Tell me if that finds anything.

Advertisements

erik9631

erik9631

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Let's do this:

1.Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories  right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

2.At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

Note the gap between c and / it should be there.

Tell me if that finds anything.

No errors found.

I am not sure what you mean. Can you expand on that and tell me how that might work?

Well as you said, after instalation certain registry properties point to the exe file or the program that was installed. It would make sense that if the registry was corrupted you could not run the program and moving it would also create verious issues.

But it does not make sense to happen with an installation file, or a portable exe file.

However I could be wrong. But this is how I understand it.

All the tools I was requested to run could be executed properly except FRST.

This makes me paranoid enough if I include the fact that CCleaner has the same issue and reinstallation did not work. Only renaming the file would fix the issue...

Edited by erik9631, 04 June 2015 - 02:26 PM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

This makes me paranoid

Yes I can understand that and some malware does do that. Nevertheless the scans we have run so far are not showing the malware I would have expected, doesn't necessarily mean it's not there, just that we are not seeing it.

Let's try another scan that is for a type of malware that often causes those symptoms. We have covered it in a general way already but let's use this specific one to make sure.

Now

Please download the latest version of TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop.

• Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then click on Change parameters.

TDSSKiller-main.jpg

• Then click on Change parameters in TDSSKiller.
  • Another window will appear.
  • Check all boxes then click OK.
  • Click the Start Scan button.

tdss_3.jpg

• The scan should take no longer than 2 minutes.
  • If a suspicious object is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.

tdss_4.jpg

• If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.

Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
tdss_5.jpg
Note: If Cure is not available, please choose Skip instead, do not choose Delete unless instructed.

• A report will be created in your root directory, (usually C:\ folder) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt". Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.

erik9631

erik9631

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Here are the scan results:

Unfortunatelly... or fortunatelly... nothing was found.

Spoiler

Edited by erik9631, 05 June 2015 - 02:37 AM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Unfortunatelly... or fortunatelly... nothing was found.

Yes it's looking more and more as if this is not malware related.

Let's try starting those programs you are having difficulty with in Safe Mode. That might tell us something.

Boot into Safe Mode:

1) Restart your computer
2) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap F8 continually.
3) If you are asked what mode to bootup in press Esc to boot in the default settings
4) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
5) Select the option to run Windows in Safe Mode.

Try starting a problematic program.

Come back and tell me how it went.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.