Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SSD (Resolved)

Best Answer heartgrave , 31 July 2015 - 07:20 PM

I am sorry. I decided against getting the SSD after further review. I see no benefit to getting one right now. Thank you. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

I am looking to put an SSD into my system. I have Windows 7 OEM. How is this done? (I know how to install it in the case.) What one do you recommend for a gaming build? I have a budget of about $150USD.

Thanks.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Please give the brand/model of the computer. 

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

I have an AS Rock xtreme 4M motherboard. CPU is Intel i5-3570K. I built the pc myself. If you need anything else let me know

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks, just needed to know if it was a Dell or similar.

I have the Evo and MX100 drives, prefer the Evo as it comes with Magician for cloning/Data transfer..

1st choice, SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB $144.99

2nd SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5

3rd  Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 

Compare, > http://www.newegg.co...2MA3364:$$$$$$$

Note, they do not come with a SATA Data cables, so if you do not have a spare, and you want to keep your existing drive installed for storage, you will need to purchase one. 

http://www.newegg.co...119-269:$$$$$$$

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Thank you for the reply. What do I do to get it installed into my computer? Not the physical hardware installation, because I can do that, but getting it to work with the other hardware/software? Do I have to do anything special, like re-install Windows?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your MB, > http://download.asro...reme4-M.pdfWiththe PSU switched off.I

Install the SSD into the case, 

Connect a SATA power cable.   You may have to rearrange the existing SATA power plugs to the HDD and Optical drive.

Disconnect the SATA Data cable from the existing OS HDD at the MB SATA socket.

Connect a new SATA Data cable from the SSD to port 0 on the MB. (SATA3_0_: see MB Manual  p.13, No. 13)

If you have any addition HDDs installed, disconnect the SATA Data cable/s at the MB end.

Disconnect all/any external peripherals, including USB sticks and headphones. 

I prefer not to clone/migrate an existing OS if a clean install is possible because it can and often does go wrong.   Worst outcome is loss of Data  

Next steps will depend on your answers.

Do you have the OS installation Disc and the Product Code.

Do you have the MB driver/utilities disc that came in the box?

Which brand/model SSD are you going to purchase?

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Do you have the OS installation Disc and the Product Code. Yes

Do you have the MB driver/utilities disc that came in the box? Yes

Which brand/model SSD are you going to purchase? That Samsung one.

I can use the HDD and SSD together, right?

Edited by heartgrave, 27 May 2015 - 11:09 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the info.

Yes, you can use them together, SSD for the OS and programs, HDD for storage.

I will give some instructions to prepare for a clean install of windows and when finished, you can copy any user Data (not programs) from the old hard drive.   Are you OK with the actual windows installation? or do you require a Tutorial.?

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

I am all set with the install and set up. Thank you. What benefit does having a SSD bring to the table? I don't do anything fancy, just play games and love my graphics on max settings along with no lag or tearing.

Edited by heartgrave, 28 May 2015 - 11:40 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

There are so many articles about the subject and non seem to include all the advantages in one place.

Here is an example,>http://www.disk-part...s-hdd-0528.html

Other, less heat, use less power, fast loading of maps/scenes in games. 

A 250GB is a good size for Boot drive and no longer expensive, so I don't see cost as a "con" any more. 

Advertisements

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

The link does not work for me, but thank you for the info!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Fixed, > http://www.disk-part...s-hdd-0528.html

As a safety step, can you backup any important Data to another drive or USB stick?   Have you order the SSD yet?   

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

I have nothing important on here that I can't re-download. And no, it will be a few weeks before I do. Just getting my ducks lined in a row kind of thing.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:

After completing the steps from Reply #6 and Before installing windows,

Power on, > Enter UEFI SETUP UTILITY,  (Del or F2) > check time and date are correct, > go to the Exit Menu > Load Default Setting > Save and Exit.

Enter UEFI SETUP UTILITY again, > Advanced screen > Storage Configuration. > check that AHCI is enabled on all ports, (Default), > check the SSD is detected on Port 0, and it is seen as a SSD drive.   Next,

Go to the Boot screen, > configure the boot order, 1st, Optical drive, 2nd, USB, 3rd, SSD.   If a Floppy is listed, set it to Disabled..

Go to the Exit Menus, select Save Setting and Exit, > confirm Y.

Here is a windows 7 new install, just so I can make a couple of suggestions, > http://pcsupport.abo...tall-part-1.htm

In part 2, step 7, "Account Password", this up to you, but as I am the only user of my computer, I do not use a password, it also slows Booting.

At step 8, I untick "Automatically Activate Windows when I am online". I do this later after I know it is a successfully fully updated installation.

At step 9, I choose Install important updates only.

Install Windows, then,

Use the MB disc to install drivers and any utilities you want, I don't install any third party or trial software, then go to the Asrock site and download/install any updates. 

If required, use the disc for a GPU.

Wait for windows to install all update.

Install the Browser of your choice.

If you are not going to use Windows MSE, Install a AV program, I use free Avira, > http://www.avira.com...-free-antivirus(you should only have one AV installed/running, otherwise you may have issues.

Install a On Demand Scanner, I use free Malwarebytes, > https://www.malwareb...g/mwb-download/

Wait before installing any other software to make sure the system is stable and I will post instructions for setting up your Data drive and moving you User Folders..

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday heartgrave.

Just wondering how the build plans are progressing.   An update would be appreciated.

Thanks.