Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

memory issues with reinstallation?

• Please log in to reply

Snflwrmare

Snflwrmare

• Pip
  • 6 posts
We were having issues with our computer a few weeks back. At one point, when we turned it on, it would begin the start up process and get to a point where it would stop and restart all over. It continued to do the looping until the computer was turned off (no keys worked).

My sister decided to reinstall Windows XP, hoping this would solve our problems. She didn't realize (for some reason) that everything would disappear, which it did. We were finally able to use the computer ok. We installed Norton 2005. I installed the iPod info from the disc and began uploading all the songs we had before. Before our problems, we had 3000 songs in iTunes. We also had many other programs that we don't have now, including (among others) WordPerfect.

Our probelm now is I am getting messages that our disc space is running low. I only imported about 100 songs in iTunes and stopped because I continued to get the "low disc space" message. Could all of our "stuff" be in the computer some where? There is no way our disc space could be low already when we don't have anywhere near as much on as we used to have. If it's somewhere, how can we get it back, or at the very least clear it all so we can add everything back again? Thanks for any help!

-Marianne

Edited by Snflwrmare, 13 June 2005 - 06:36 PM.

Advertisements

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Hello,

If you reinstalled Windows XP without reformatting your Hard drive, you most likely just installed another copy of Windos XP on your computer.

I have had this problem a few times, and every time I have had to use the System Recovery CDs to get my computer working.

ControlSet00x

ControlSet00x

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
you'll have to go to Disk Manager to figure this one out.
right click My Comp and select manage. from the drop down menu select Disk Management
information on your current HD configurations will appear.
it's possible that during the reinstall your sis partitioned the drive to a fraction of it's actual capacity. look at what the C drive info is as far as size. if it's not as big as it should be (say, 10 GB where it should be 80) then that's the case. no problem, just add a new volume using the remaining disk space.
if the info shows that the disk formatted to it's actual capacity (80 GB or whatever) then you should be able to access any files contained therein. right click the drive letter (My Comp, then C) and select properties. this will give you info on how much of the disk actually contains data.
another cause (and this is unlikely) could be that DISK QUOTAS were set on the user accounts. if that's the case just right click on the drive letter in My Comp (should be C) select quotas and disable them

Snflwrmare

Snflwrmare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks. I checked. From what I can tell of our computer paper work, it seems we got 40 GB when we got the computer. Through properties, it shows we have 30.8 GB, of which 30.2 is free! You said to "add a new volume using the remaining disk space." How would I do this? And, why am I getting the low disc space notification if so little of the capacity is used?

Another issue, I assume that is related,--our speakers won't work. I plugged them into my walkman and they are fine, so there is something in the computer that isn't recognizing they are plugged in, I guess. Any thoughts about this? Thanks for the help!

-Marianne

Edited by Snflwrmare, 14 June 2005 - 02:30 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.werkema.c...pacemonger.html

download the above and post a screen shot.

ControlSet00x

ControlSet00x

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
if the HD properties show you have 30.2 free then that is how much is left on your present volume. if your HD is 40 GB then a new volume could only be about 9 GB.
but that's besides the point being that now you're needing to be able to use the rest of your present volume.
did you check the quota settings?

Snflwrmare

Snflwrmare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
gerry, I downloaded that and now I have no idea how to post a screen shot. It does say, however, "Free Space: 98.1%" with just a pink bar on the right of my screen and nothing else on the screen.

ControlSet, it says "disc quotas are disabled"

Edited by Snflwrmare, 14 June 2005 - 04:58 PM.

ControlSet00x

ControlSet00x

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
about the speakers, click on the little speaker icon on the bottom right of your screen an make sure your volume is up and not muted. also you probably have to download the drivers for your sound card.
keep adding stuff to your HD regardless of the warning. it won't hurt anything. also, does your rig seem to be running slow?

Snflwrmare

Snflwrmare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
uh oh, that's my problem--I didn't even think to look. We don't have a speaker icon! How do I download drivers for our sound card?

what is a rig? nothing seems slow to me...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

download the above and install, then save a report and attach it

Snflwrmare

Snflwrmare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
here you go!

I downloaded a driver for my sound card but do not have enough free disc space on D:\Recovery to install it!

Attached Files

Edited by Snflwrmare, 17 June 2005 - 07:48 AM.

Snflwrmare

Snflwrmare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
how do i know if i downloaded the correct driver for my sound card? it won't install anyway but I am not even sure if it matters which I get. There are so many...

Edited by Snflwrmare, 18 June 2005 - 06:54 PM.