Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to format PRESARIO RP (D:\)

Windows XP Presario

• Please log in to reply

Forerunner343

Forerunner343

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hello all,

I have a Presario laptop that runs Windows XP, and of course, has two disks (I think): the normal C:\ drive, and the ever-so-frustrating D:\ drive known infamously as "PRESARIO RP".

So, I have a few questions.

First, I was wondering if C\: and D:\ are actually separate hard disks.

Second, I want to format D:\ to free up space, as I really have no use for a recovery partition. How should I go about formatting it? I don't care about whether it's good or bad to format D:\. I just want to know how to do it.

Third, Is it possible to have 2 different Operating systems on the same machine? Because if D:\ is a physical disk, I was thinking of maybe putting 95 or 98 on D:\, and having XP on C:\.

Thanks,

Forerunner343

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi Forerunner343 :)

For the first question, we would need to see your Disk Management to check if these partitions are from two different drives, or the same one. Follow the instructions below to provide me a screenshot of it and I'll tell you.

mYEYEX7.pngDisk Management Utility
Follow the instructions below to open the Disk Management Utility:
  • For Windows 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, right-click on Computer and select Manage (requires Admin Rights). From there, click on Disk Management in the left pane;
  • For Windows 8, bring the cursor in the bottom left-corner of the screen and wait for the metro preview to open, then right-click on it and select Disk Management;
  • For Windows 8,1 bring the cursor on the Windows logo, right-click on it and select Disk Management;
  • Open the window to its full size, then take a screenshot of it and attach it to your next reply;
mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Attaching the screenshot in your reply
    • Go in your thread and click on the Reply to this topic button in the top-right corner;
      85hPFGu.png
    • Below the text box you'll have the option to Attach files. Click on the Choose Files... button, navigate to your screenshot and select it;
      LKVBzF7.png
    • Once done, add a comment to your reply and post it;
For the second question, you can format it throught the Disk Management. Once again, depending on where the partition belongs to, I'll tell you how to proceed.
For the third and last question, it's possible to have two (or more) OS on a same machine. It's called dual boot, triple boot and so on. You can have two OS on the same drive if you want, no need to have two of them.

Forerunner343

Forerunner343

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I'm running XP.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
For Windows XP, right-click on Computer on your Desktop and select Manage. From there, it's the same.