Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Star Wars: Dark Forces (1995) on XP/95/98/7

Dark Forces I

• Please log in to reply

Forerunner343

Forerunner343

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hello all,

I have a 1995 game called Star Wars: Dark Forces. So I was wondering if it's possible to install it fully, sounds and everything, on Windows 95/98/XP/7? Preferably XP. I've tried DOSBox, to no avail. What do you suggest?

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello Forerunner343,

Using the Windows Program Compatibility mode

When you use Windows Program Compatibility mode, many of the most common issues that prohibit earlier versions of programs from working correctly are resolved. If you run a program and it does not function as expected, it is recommended that you run the program in one of the compatibility environments. To run programs in Windows Program Compatibility mode in Microsoft Windows XP, follow these steps:

1. Right click on the link of the program that you want to fix.
  2. Click on Properties.
  3. Click on the Compatibility tab.
  4. Click on Run this program in compatibility mode and select one of these:
    • Windows 95
    • Windows 98
    • Windows NT 4
    • Windows 2000
  5. Under Display settings, click to select the mode that you think that is necessary for the program to work correctly:
    • Run in 256 colors.
    • Run in 640 X 480 screen resolution.
    • Disable visual themes.
  6. Click Apply, and then click OK.
  7. Double click on the program.

Notes

• The Compatibility tab is only available for programs that are installed on your hard drive. Although you can run the Program Compatibility Wizard on programs or setup files on a CD-ROM or floppy disk, your changes will not remain in effect after you close the program. For more information about an option on the Compatibility tab, right-click the option and then click What's This.
  • If you click to clear all the options in the Compatibility tab, you will restore the default settings.

Hope this helps!  Good luck.  :spoton:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

Dark forces was originally released for windows xp, so it shouldn't have any issues.  I recently purchased a bunch of the star wars games from Steam.  The games all work just fine without any work required to make them work on windows 7/8.